My Morso, which is in a workshop, does develop a very light coating of rust on on its bare metal surfaces when not used for a week or so (it is covered during this time). I was wondering how to prevent this, I don't want to coat in oil as this will get onto the mouldings? Any suggestions appreciated.
ChrisG
Morso surface rust
-
ChrisG
- Posts: 257
- Joined: Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
- Location: Bishop's Waltham & Stockbridge Hampshire
- Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
- Interests: .
- Contact:
- iantheframer
- Posts: 236
- Joined: Mon 21 Jan, 2008 2:59 pm
- Location: central portugal
- Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
- Interests: photography
Re: Morso surface rust
could try this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0
Not used it myself so not sure if it works, but seems a good idea in principal
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0
Not used it myself so not sure if it works, but seems a good idea in principal
Ian
-
JFeig
- Posts: 1478
- Joined: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 8:31 pm
- Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
- Organisation: minoxy, LLC
- Interests: non-fiction knowledge
-
framejunkie
- Posts: 347
- Joined: Tue 13 May, 2008 11:40 am
- Location: Bethnal Green, London
- Organisation: framejunkie
- Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR
- Location: Bethnal Green, London
- Contact:
Re: Morso surface rust
Either of the options above would work. I use this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0
which does the job too.
Just a thought but it could be that it happens less if you don't cover the machine - more airflow should mean less condensation
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0
which does the job too.
Just a thought but it could be that it happens less if you don't cover the machine - more airflow should mean less condensation
-
Not your average framer
- Posts: 11008
- Joined: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 8:40 pm
- Location: Devon, U.K.
- Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
- Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day
- Location: Glorious Devon
Re: Morso surface rust
I waxed mine 5 years ago, to stop grey marks appearing on bare wood mouldings and since I've not had any surface rust, perhaps this is proof that Jerry's suggestion works. On the other hand, perhaps my shop is dry enough not to cause any surface rust, so I'll leave you draw your own conclusions.
Mark Lacey
“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
-
framemaker
Re: Morso surface rust
I agree with what the others say, but would add it sounds like an ideal situation to use Renaissance Wax.
