Marketing for new start-up

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
ryebart
Organisation: Bartlett Arts & Crafts
Interests: Painting
Photography

Marketing for new start-up

Post by ryebart »

Hi,

Have set myself up to be self-employed picture framer working from home. Am now in a position to carry out work having got basic tools/workshop/stock etc sorted out. How can I start getting trade ? I need my first job to get me going but don't want to spend any money on untargetted adverts. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Ryebart
Roboframer

Re: Marketing for new start-up

Post by Roboframer »

Ah - there but for the grace of God .......

Well, you could build yourself a website pretty much for free - but then you have to worry about hits and stuff.

Turning your phone line in to a business line would get you a free entry in yellow pages.

What worked for me was leaflets, thousands of 'em - some delivered with local papers - the free ones and the paid for ones (the local newsagent may happily slip them in to the daily deliveries for a price) - but the ones that worked best were the stand-alone leaflets, esp the ones we delivered ourselves by wearing down plenty of shoe leather.

Work on a 2% response.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome ryebart. :D

I'd say unless you have money to burn, start off gently with advertising. You can get rid of an enormous amount of money if you are not careful, for very little response. You can also get plagued with phone calls from other advertising sources wanting you to try them.
Local paper classifieds, newsagents windows, etc. You'll probably get as much if not more biz that way than a 1/2 page colour in a glossy mag. Local papers will sometimes do a little artcle on you as a new business if they think they are going to get regular advertising from you.
Of course the best form of advertising is word of mouth reccomendation. Once you start getting work, make sure you give people a handfull of business cards to hand out to their friends.
Got a seperate phone line for the business? You should get a free listing in the Yellow Pages this way. Don't let them talk you into paying for a bigger ad.
Then there is your online presense. A website has got to be the most cost-effective way. Doesn't need to be flash. One page with contact details and a brief description of your services is all you need for a kickoff. Web space is dirt cheap when you think it covers the entire planet. :wink:
People tend to reach for the mouse rather than the phonebook nowadays.

Also, try if you can to do a bit of 'market research'. If there are art/craft groups, ladies embroidery circles, etc in your area. Make sure they know you exist.

Good Luck with the business. :)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Ryebart,

I'm in a similar position to you - just starting up and wondering how to entice those customers. These are some of the things I have done so far:

500 A5 leaflets photocopied for £8 and pushed them through letterboxes, result = one order for about 8 frames and a promise to tell other people.

That one customer did indeed tell somebody, result = another customer appeared for 3 further frames one of which now hangs in his shop.

Networking, mentioned it to a squash opponent, result = 6 orders

Adverts in shop windows/noticeboards, result = nothing.

Emails to camera and needlework clubs, results = my details on their noticeboards and my attendance at 2 of their next meetings

Emails to about half a dozen local photographers to introduce myself, result = 2 have come back offering to pass their customers on to me for their framing, got an order the very next day!

Letters of introduction to University, rugby and football clubs, result = nothing (yet!).

Finally, my very simple website is due up very soon and hopefully this will attract the customers.

It's still early days and things are still a bit slow but I will continue to find other potential customers to inform of my services.

Good luck,

Steve
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Ryebart and welcome to the forum,

A lot depends upon your location and the nature of the area around you. What works for one, may not necessarily work for another.

Originally, I did not have my own shop and I found getting started was very difficult, so check out how those who are sucessfully operating from home are doing it.

My main advertising since getting a shop has been the local parish magazine. Don't pay for a really big advent, like they say size is not everything. It all has to be paid for! Some parish magazines are much cheaper to advertise in than others, so be careful.

I have seen some people who work from home, where their front windows are on the edge of the pavement, using these as though they were shop windows. Local authorities may have different rules about this, but in many locations this can be a viable possibility.

Don't forget that the Christmas rush will soon be upon us and if you can get some of this trade, it will help you to get known and in my experience repeat customers come from new ones gained during each Christmas rush.

Don't be too easily disheartened! Most small businesses grow quite slowly at first, but most will grow much better as they go along.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer