walnut moulding

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
stcstc

walnut moulding

Post by stcstc »

i was sent a sample from one of my suppliers, its a walnut moulding

i am just wondering, can i join it with a cassese underpiner or does it need to be joined with something else?
framemaker

Re: walnut moulding

Post by framemaker »

Its a pretty hard wood, so I would join it the same way I do oak and ash.

My usual method is this:
I very rarely use wedges larger than 12mm in these hard woods, and be cautious of putting a wedge to close to the back edge. I never stack wedges in hard woods.

I use polyurethane glue (I find this much better than PVA but know some disagree), pin the frame, if its a box frame and the corner is not as tight as you hoped, you can use masking tape to pull the corner together while the glue sets. I then leave the frame overnight before removing any excess glue and sanding the corner nice and flush.
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

good advice from Richard there.
I'm assuming its American walnut - not much european walnut around these days, except veneers(if anyone knows a supplier of solid euro walnut mouldings let me know!). Its a little less dense than Ash or Oak, and less brittle - more forgiving to join and less prone to splitting

Try hand sanding it along the grain down to 800grit then finish with danish oil - very beautiful wood indeed! :D
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

oh cool thanks for the advise

i always thought it would be harder than the ash, and harder to join etc