Canvas Packaging

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Keith

Canvas Packaging

Post by Keith »

Hi.

I have a client who wants me to stretch photo canvases for him and then post them or courier them onto his customers. It looks like it might be quite a lot of work, but I need to sort out a way of packaging them to arrive undamaged.

So I'm open to ideas !!!!! has as anyone posted a canvas before and if so how did you package it or does anyone know of a company who might supply this sort of packaging specifically.

Thanks Keith
Chris10b
Organisation: Waterloo House
Interests: No Time

Re: Canvas Packaging

Post by Chris10b »

Hello

I have had to post several canvas's in the past and had no bad reports with bubble wrapping them and then cutting a cardboard box down to size and plenty of parcel tape. All have arrived at their destination with no probs.

Chris
prospero

Post by prospero »

I have a customer who regularly gets giclee canvases by courier. They are biggish (1000x800mm) They are packed face-to face with silicone release paper between, bubble wrapped and strapped together in twos with handywrap. They come in good strong cardboard boxes. The main vunerability is if someone shoves a sharp object though the middle. A sheet of plywood each side would counter this, but extra cost/weight...... :?

** I probably don't need to mention this, but never put bubble wrap on the face of a canvas with the bubbles facing in. They end up looking like they have been attacked by a squid.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

I cling film the print before using the blue U foam edge protection all the way round. To protect the face and back from puncture wounds I use a sheet of card back board.... the ones you would use to back a picture frame... as it is a high density and very light. My supplier lets me have all his face marked sheets at reduced cost, it 's good for him as he would normally throw them away, and good for me because it's cheap!

Then I use corrugated card on a roll to wrap it all up with plenty of tape.

The above works really well as I have sent them all over the world... Sweden, USA, New Zealand, Greece.....Oh and they were all 30" x 46" canvas prints so quite big!

For delivery it might be worth having a word with these...
https://www.despatchbay.com/business/

Speak to Michelle on 08712 100 122 and tell her Chris @ The Canvas Loft recommended.
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi

Thanks for replying, I also have a supplier of cheap mountboard (seconds) so perhaps this may be the way to go, will let you know,thanks again.

Keith
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

I've learned the hard way to be very careful with jobs like this.

It takes more time to package this type of job than it does to do the stretching so that time and the materials also need to be charged for.
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

thats for sure.... got it down to 30mins a print... :giggle: :giggle:
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Vix

Post by Vix »

Maybe I can help.

I have a new product about to be launched which does just this purpose - The CanvasPak. If you're interested PM me and i'll let you have some details and prices.

Vix
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Normally I wrap a stretched canvas in tissue paper to stop any scratches.

Then use 4 of Lion's cardboard corners.

Then cut 2 pieces of Simons BACK-010 (at least, I think that's the one - very dense, white one side and brown the other and very cheap if you buy 40 sheets at a time).

Then I secure the backing boards front and back with clingwrap.

Then I put it into a builder's rubble bag (which is nice and waterproof) and send it ParcelForce 48.

I've also packaged frames with glass this way and, so far, haven't had any breakages or damage.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi Thanks again for all the replies it looks as though I should get a safe delivery if i use some of the ideas put forward.

Keith