Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Canvas swatch under window mount

Post by Bagpuss »

A customer who has used me before brought me a canvas she had painted, 40cm x 40cm, actually it was part of a bigger canvas which she had cut down and framed in a deep rebate IKEA frame with a single aperture mount over it. When I took it apart I could see that the canvas had been taped all the way round the back onto the mount .. :Slap:

I want to secure it to a sheet of 5mm foamcore but am now unsure how to approach this using a conservation technique, it doesn't really need to be totally stuck down I was thinking that it could hang
from the top edge somehow but am unsure what to use now.

any suggestions would be appreciated,

thanks,
Adam
canvas2.jpg
canvas2.jpg (21.51 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Roboframer

Re: Canvas swatch under window mount

Post by Roboframer »

You could try edge support strips or even mylar corners, but would it lay flat? If it did by being taped all around then maybe it will.

If you want to 'T' hinge it a-la something on paper, then starch paste would probably hold.
span2iels
Organisation: Harlequin Frames
Interests: Rugby Union, Bridge, allotment.

Post by span2iels »

I have a similar problem, a customer has brought a giclee on canvas and wants a similar framing job as seen in the shop but there is insufficient borders to get the same effect using standard method with stretcher bars. We have agreed that I will attempt to treat the canvas as artwork on paper with mounts etc and if it does not work we would go back to the standard. What I am going to try is to use linen tape for the 'T' hinges along the top and because it is 750mm long I am going to put another 'T' hinge approx three quarters of the way down each side and then use the mounts as standard for artwork on paper.

I am not sure if it will work and that the canvas remain flat but the customer and I have agreed to try in order to get the effect he wants.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

I've not done it with a canvas, but sometimes I have framed ethnic art done on fabric. I stitch the piece to the undermount in a couple of places, instead of hinging it with tape.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Well this afternoon I hinged the canvas in three places on the top edge using linen tape and some starch paste, I wasn't too sure if it would be strong enough but it appears to have stuck like the proverbial brown stuff :clap: I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Adam
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )