White Paint

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Keith

White Paint

Post by Keith »

Hi Everyone.

I am hand finishing some frames with the PLAKA brand white paint it gives a great finish with only 2 coats but put up against the customers original frame "it's not white enough" for her, and I must admit it does look like an off white against hers.

And to my question is there another band of paint someone has used or using as good as the plaka one but a bright white.

Thanks Keith
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: White Paint

Post by Not your average framer »

What you are looking for is "Titanium white" acrylic paint, which you will have to buy from an artists supplies shop or distributor.

Try not to buy one of the cheaper brands, as they often do not contain enough pigment and therefore lack opacity.

Opacity matters if you want a really solid bright white, so be prepared to pay for a better quality brand.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi.

Just to say thanks to NYA framer for the info, got windsor newton with an acrylic "flow improver" worked a treat, one (at last) satisfied customer.

Keirh
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Hi Keith,

For slips or as a frame finish I use one or two coats of quick drying acrylic primer/undercoat and then a brilliant white emulsion.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi Richard how are you.

Thanks I'll give that a try as well, do you get the primer from an art shop ?

Regards Keith
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi Richard.

One other thing is the emulsion a matt or silk finish ?

Thanks Keith
prospero

Post by prospero »

White Acrylic Gesso from arty shops makes a good frame finish. It dries fast and is as hard as hell's doorknockers when it is dry. And you can polish it up to a high shine with wax and wirewool. The only thing is, it's hard to get a smooth finish unless you dilute it and spray it on. Great for textured effects though. Also comes in Black. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Keith,
The undercoat/primer I use is by Leyland acrylic primer undercoat, so it is designed for all interior and exterior wooden surfaces. It's water based and will take oil or water based paints on top. I have tried a similar own brand product from a large DIY store (there is one round the corner from you!) and this was not suitable for use with water based top coats.
I have used dead matt emulsion which I then wax or seal, and also the sheen/silk finishes. I suppose it depends what finish you want, the sheen I often use on inner scoop shaped slips without any finish/wax etc. on top. The modern paints seem relatively hard wearing.

I suppose on frames its ok to just slap the emulsion straight on the frame but I have a thing about good surface prep under the top coat finish.

I need to come and see you for some ovals! will work out the sizes this weekend :)
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi Thank you both for the information, that's fine Richard be in touch soon.

Keith