What's this moulding?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

What's this moulding?

Post by WelshFramer »

Can anyone recognise this moulding and tell me where I can get it. I can't find it in the catalogues on my shelves.

Thanks.

Mike
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

This is where I might end up with egg on my face. When I first opened my shop almost three years ago, a customer was looking for a moulding with a similar finish to yours. I phoned around, got in a few samples and one was what the customer wanted, but I didn't get the job, because the customer wanted me to undercut his current supplier, which I couldn't come close to.

So if my rather hazy memory is working right and the size and shape, etc., are right which I am not sure about after all this time, you might try asking Venton Enterprises (01579 389310) and see what they say. If it was the same one it was not even in their catalogue then and is not in the current one either.

I think I was asking about a white driftwood moulding. Sorry, but it was a long time ago. I hope this is not a waste of time.
Mark
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I'm really clutching at straws here, but in one of Venton's out of date catalogues there are three plain wood mouldings shown only as outline cross section drawings. THEY ARE NOT IN THE CURRENT CATALOGUE OR PRICE LIST. However, I've often managed to get discontinued mouldings just by asking distributors if they've got any left.

I'm not saying that the moulding is one of these, but the drawings look possible. The moulding numbers are VEN/SO/077, VEN/SO/078 and VEN/SO/079. I've had a good look through my other catalogues without any futher results and I've got a lot of old catalogues going back to about 1994. These came with a load of left over moulding from company which was selling up and closing down.
Mark
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

Many thanks. I'll follow that up on Monday.

It looks as if it might be a gesso finish but I'm wondering if a woodgrain would suit the customer as well. Unfortunately (or fortunately perhaps) it needs to be something in ready supply as I'm hoping to get a long-term contract to do these frames.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status
Not your average framer

If it's gesso, I don't think it's one of Venton's. I'd like to know where to get it too. Looks great, I bet it would be a good seller.
Mark
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

I can get hold of the phone number of the framer who did the original but I'm not sure of the ethics of phoning them to ask what moulding they used - or what they'd think if I did phone.

The original framer is in Surrey and I'm in mid-Wales so we're not normally competitors but I guess we are in this job. The women who makes the porcelain casts wants to use me to do all her framing rather than going back to the original framer.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status
Not your average framer

Hi Mike,

I think I may have a result for you. I don't have a current catalogue to be sure about this, but I've dug out an old 2002 Peers framing supplies catalogue with some quite similar mouldings. There isn't one in the same colour, but I don't know what's in their current catalogue, so a catalogue request might be worth a try. Their phone number is 0121 551 1150.
Happy hunting & Merry Christmas,
Mark
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

Many thanks. I'll give them a call after Christmas.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status