Security hangers

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Roboframer

Security hangers

Post by Roboframer »

A new small and quite upmarket hotel with a superb restaurant has opened in our village - we know the owner and his wife quite well.

They want us to supply pictures (for sale) for their rooms and throughout the hotel.

The 'deal' is sorted - all we need is a good security hanging system.

Best I can find are the ones from Lion that clip in and need a special tool to unclip - I'd hang them at two points from the top only.

As replacements can/will be different sizes we can't go for hangers on the sides, that would mean them drilling holes all over the place - if I keep the hangers on the top, all they have to do is make two hanging points per picture and I just have to make sure that the bits fitted to each frame are EXACTLY the same distance apart each time and if I get it a few mil out, it's easy to shift one right or left.

Anyone been there?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi John
Yes been there. We had to redo some 30 pictures in the Officers Mess Ante room at our local Military Base.

Pictures on the wall just seemed to be a magnet for Officers in 'High spirits'.

We used those hangers from LIONS. Very good. Although we did fix them to the vertical frame not the top.

If supporting from the horizontal frame, you may just have to put flat angle brackets on the top mitres.

As with the Officers Mess, health and safety comes into play. Are you using a plastic/acrylic glazing. I would hate you - being the expert and advisor - to be litigated against, should a customer accidently falls against the picture and gets injured on glass.
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If they just wanted to purchase for display we could fix 'em good, but this is intended for sales.

Insurance etc not my problem, as I said the 'deal' is sorted - far as I am concerned they can hang them with cord/wire (but with those hangers - again from lion, with a 'latch' so the cord/wire is not a problem - it can't come off)

Security - in the rooms is not a problem - they have card details! Just in the public areas. Still, we want to standarise the system - we don't want residents turning up to check out, holding a picture they have removed from the wall of their room!

Maybe wire and the latch thingy would be good - it can't fall - not many opportunists carry things that can cut wire* and no strain on the top bar, plus I'd use two per frame, any size.

*If someone REALLY wants to steal the artwork they will just rip the frame off the wall, leaving some behind - we're not talking organised crime here.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Roboframer
I take it the reply is a round-about way of saying Thanks for the reply to your question "Anyone been there?"
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Sorry Mark,

Thanks for the reply, and of course for reminding me you shouldn't support frames from just the top, I'm always bollocking my customers for walking out carrying pictures from the top with one hand!

The heavy duty hangers with the 'latch' are looking good, plus the American 'Wallbuddies' have a security version - but no-one over here does them to my knowledge, although there is a version of the basic wallbuddie which I stock.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Roboframer wrote: Thanks for the reply, and of course for reminding me you shouldn't support frames from just the top, I'm always bollocking my customers for walking out carrying pictures from the top with one hand!
I'm not sure which hangers you guys are referring to, but the ones I use are illustrated at:
http://www.pictureframes.com/html/securityhangers.html

Hanging from the top rail, should only ever be a problem if the moulding is really narrow in relation to the weight of the contents. I have sold hundreds of these over the years and there has never been a problem.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I think Lion do those, but SPRING LOCK is what I was looking at at first

Then THESE