Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
topbrand
Organisation: Frame-It
Interests: Work,work, framing

Under-pinners

Post by topbrand »

Having used a Minigraf4 for 18 years I have just realised I am usung it back to front.
It has an adjustable table attached which swivells and I have alwas pinned withe the moulding coming towards me. Every picture of an underpinner i see you seem to pin form the inside. I have tried to do this but find frames larger than 20" are too far away to see whats going on. I wonder if any other members have had this problem. By theway I am on the round side.
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Re: Under-pinners

Post by mikeysaling »

i have a small cassese (which i don't think is adjustable) and it underpins as you describe . I presume if your minig is adjustable its a matter of personal preference and also space . must say with a large frame it would be handy to do the last two corners 'away' from me!
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
guzzijim
Organisation: Dumfries & Galloway
Interests: Photography, Colour Management, Sea Fishing

Post by guzzijim »

I can do both ways, got my Morso underpinner on a butchers block type stand with castors, made it the right height for large frames to be supported by my bench, real space saver.
Anyone else with a Morso UPM know how to use the additional top pressure pads ( if that's the right term)
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I dont like to stand 'inside' the frame, I have my underpinner cut into the middle of the long side of a 6ft by 4ft workbench, and I stand behind, with the bench supporting the moulding. Today I did a frame that was 1700 x 445 with the onset of middle age spread, I dont think I would have got inside that one if I had tried! (Sorry I'm back in mm there)
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

I recognise these issues so much. I've made a right good job of my shed STUDIO! working with what I've got. The bad news is I can't handle a 3m lenght of moulding on the morso without cutting it down first and that can be a beggar, and I haven't the room to do a reverse thrust on the underpinner like Gesso and others, which I know would be easier. Good news fellas is that wifey has eyes on said STUDIO! for a holiday let. From her very lips she said tonight "why don't you build yourself one bloody great big shed for all of your junk and let me have this". Now's not the time to debate one man's junk is..... thought I.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
guzzijim

Post by guzzijim »

Trinity wrote:I recognise these issues so much. I've made a right good job of my shed STUDIO! working with what I've got. The bad news is I can't handle a 3m lenght of moulding on the morso without cutting it down first

I work from a garden workshop too, got over the 3meter moulding thing by adding a trap door in side of workshop, it original had a fold down tunnel but the wind blew it off last winter, 70mph gale!!
Will try and add some phots if I can figure out procedure, ( help).
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

guzzijim wrote:Will try and add some phots if I can figure out procedure, ( help).
OK - you will need a camera, preferably a digital one. Turn it on and point it at the thing you want to post a photo of, there should be a small screen on the back of the camera. When you see, on the screen, what you want to capture, press the big button on top of the camera.

Report back after that stage for further instructions.
guzzijim

Post by guzzijim »

Roboframer wrote: OK - you will need a camera, preferably a digital one. Turn it on and point it at the thing you want to post a photo of, there should be a small screen on the back of the camera. When you see, on the screen, what you want to capture, press the big button on top of the camera.

Report back after that stage for further instructions.
Funny Ha Ha,

Right, resize to ? x ? pixels, change to sRGB , save as JPEG, what next ?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

800x600 max, (if you want the image for anything else then save it 'as'......) then, after clicking 'post a reply' go to 'upload attachment' then 'browse' - find and select your saved/resized picture and click on 'add the file'

There's other ways like a link to your own website or an image hosting site like photobucket, but above is the best way.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

guzzijim

Post by guzzijim »

The pipe below hatch is dehumidifier outlet, pipe eves to eves is power supply.

Will add some more pics later.
Attachments
Home made support leading to hatch.
Home made support leading to hatch.
Hatch inside.jpg (348.54 KiB) Viewed 8300 times
Moulding hatch
Moulding hatch
Workshop.jpg (223.21 KiB) Viewed 8300 times
guzzijim

Post by guzzijim »

More pictures on my workshop.
Attachments
Glass cutter to door.jpg
Glass cutter to door.jpg (164.95 KiB) Viewed 8297 times
Underpinner  Glass cutter.jpg
Underpinner Glass cutter.jpg (172.29 KiB) Viewed 8297 times
Inside workshop door to glass cutter..jpg
Inside workshop door to glass cutter..jpg (186.53 KiB) Viewed 8297 times
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

nice setup there... what size is the workshop... it looks like a Tardis!!!
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
guzzijim

Post by guzzijim »

CanvasChris wrote:nice setup there... what size is the workshop... it looks like a Tardis!!!
10ft x 14ft
" It looks like a Tardis", that's what a 15mm wide angle lens does for you, plus some photoshop to straighten some of the converging verticals.

It's fully insulated with double floor and double glazed door and windows curtsey of ebay.

There's a waterproof membrane beneath the shiplap boards and roof panels.
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

really nice home from home Image
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I like the workshop setup, where did you get the mount board storage for under your table. I am currently storing mine in an old map chest which is ok, but I would much rather have it under my table. I am having to raise the table height in any case as I have just built my underpinner into the table so would then be able to store my mount board underneath. I could make something (I made a cabinet to store glass out using the wood from a pine bunk bed) but the ones you have look like a better option.
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Lion do those units http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/ULTIMO ... ,9608.aspx designed to fit under an existing bench.

They also do a unit which doubles up as a bench - you just add the worktop. http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/KEENCU ... 13309.aspx
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Huh
I have just sold an Ultimo on ebay today which went for an astounding 20 quid. Problems with them are that mountboards slump and end up with a bow in them. We use plan chests now - loads of em, but then we have over 50 mountboards in stock and a pile of Arqadia I bought at auction last year (2500 sheets). Nice tardis though :D
Steve
guzzijim

Post by guzzijim »

Roboframer wrote:Lion do those units http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/ULTIMO ... ,9608.aspx designed to fit under an existing bench.
Anyone notice that the three Ultimo's have two wooden spacers between, makes 8 bays instead of 6, also makes it heavy to move forward, now resort to hands and knees and not to pull forward.
I've to move glass cutter to right and lower, can't get a 4ft high sheet in without hitting ceiling.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

misterdiy wrote:. Problems with them are that mountboards slump and end up with a bow in them. We use plan chests now - loads of em, but then we have over 50 mountboards in stock
'Slumping' is a problem with vertical storage, or can be, regardless of what system you use, I stock pretty much the complete artcare range, in varying quantities; vertically, and do not have a problem with 'slumping' because they are stacked too tightly to allow it, but not so tightly as to cause scuffing when removing/inserting.

If I used horizontal storage I'd need a dedicated room!