Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
guzzijim
Organisation: Dumfries & Galloway
Interests: Photography, Colour Management, Sea Fishing

I could be sick.

Post by guzzijim »

Got a request for a PINK !! frame,does not need to be solid pink nothing at Lion, any ideas ? besides being sick!
sim.on
Organisation: Hertfordshire
Interests: Classic cars

Re: I could be sick.

Post by sim.on »

Go to ebay and type in ' assorted wooden pink frame ' if you can stomach it.
FrameArt

Post by FrameArt »

Try www.prioryframingsupplies.co.uk to the left of the home page under mouldings click on colour then scroll down to M34/16 pink. Good luck.
FrameArt
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

once got some pink moulding from arqadia - a customer request - bought 12 metres as was promised more frames in same colour :head: she didn't like it and i was landed with about 10 metres of unwanted pink moulding - in the end it became fuel for the wood burner - and it didn't even burn well Image
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

Arqadia do a solid pink one if that is actually preferered - Larson Juhl (front of catalogue premium end) 402 148.

Sounds like you maybe don't have an account with them. Sometimes your local weekly van supplier you use for glass and boards etc. will get you anything you want from Arqadia if you can wait a week or two. Mine will and it saves paying delivery.

Otherwise failing finding one that suits you can get pink woodstains or consider painting or waxing your own which will also be a valuable learning experience. Other people on the forum do lots of that stuff so could advise better than me. Some people would actually make it for you, but I guess it's down to budgets.
Trigger
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: .... there's more to life than just picture framing.

Post by Trigger »

If you don't want to deal with another moulding supplier and can't find anything suitable, why don't you do a handfinish paint and wax job on a barewood? You can get tester pots of paints to get the right colour, you won't have loads of moulding left over and hopefully the customer will love it.

We use the Confetti range from Arqadia and never thought we would sell the pink - but we do get through quite a bit of it. There is also a range that Frintons brought out at the Spring Fair which has a range of slightly sparkly colours and there is a purpley pink in that too - but the handfinish option would probably suit you better.

Trigger
Alec Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

"Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!" - Life of Brian
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

I think the Arqadia confetti pink has been discontinued.

did this a while ago, mixed up red and white acrylic paint, and then spray sealed:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_z6BsQZHCGCI/T ... 10+020.jpg
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Rather than buy in moulding that you don't think you will use again, take some unfinished moulding (or a finished one - sand it down a bit first). then take a tube of red acrylic paint and a tube of white, mix a bit up with a little water. Put a couple of coats on, and then some clear wax, or acrylic varnish to protect it, and voilà .

Alternatively Simons and Arqadia have a few pinks
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
philipsheldon
Organisation: Ashworth & Thompson Ltd
Interests: JUDO / NFFC / CRICKET / REAL ALE ...oh, and Life in general.

Post by philipsheldon »

:D Afternoon.

Ashworth & Thompson have some PINK mouldings, as well as other colours that can go on to form a rainbow - I even have a miniture Zippy on my desk as well !

If you would like samples, please let me or Zippy know :lol:

Phil. ( 0115 ) 927 8504
There's nothing I can do if it don't get through, blame it on the Pony Express !
There's nothing I can say if it's gone a stray, blame it on the Pony Express !
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I have used the sparkly pink one from Frinton Mouldings for a job in the Ladies Loo at one of our local pubs.

(wasn't doing the job in the loo, the frames were to hang there, just in case you got the wrong idea from above!)
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I did one recently (pink is the this seasons black in our village!) and I used an unfinished moulding and spray painted it. I used an oil based gloss, but thinned it with white spirit to stop it clogging. It took a few coats, but came up an absolute treat with no brush marks. In order to stop you decorating your workshop in the process, I converted a large box.
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

These are Aqadias codes

140148000 currently plenty of stock

and

150148000 even more stock available than the code above.

They are both a very nice shade of Fushia pink

You might also want to visit http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/

Robinc
guzzijim

Post by guzzijim »

RobinC wrote:
You might also want to visit http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/

Robinc
Perhaps a pair of these will take the glare off, add the cost to customs bill, list as safety eye protection.

http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/empori ... i-9640.asp
JamesC
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

140148000 is not in the Arqadia printed catalogue which I used to look for pinks and could only find one (I have volume eleven) I also looked online recently and found loads more canvas L's than they have in the catalogue.

Anybody know if there is a newer catalogue?

Goes to show the importance to use their website anyway if you get stuck.

I wasn't going to be the first to jump in and advice how to finish frames earlier because I know others have more experience but for what it is worth when I had to change the colour of some bright white frames for an experiment recently I used a product called "scumble" which is an like an acrylic you can mix with emulsion. Available from all good hardware stores (I like the smaller ones best). I also used tester pots for colours.

This was a much tougher finish than emulsion alone and maybe didn't even need a clear varnish afterwards. I actually nabbed it off my mum who had used it for distressing some old furniture - the main thing it is sold for. You can use a different coloured undercoat and sand some of it back through to get a distressed look e.g. white over brown.

Some other advice for painting wood -

If it's bare wood it may need priming.
After/before every coat sand it back to very smooth. Very fine wire wool (not the thick stuff the stuff that's more like cotton wool) is awesome for getting very fine results.

My head framer used to make furniture and as well as telling me that he says waxes are the easiest things to use generally for finishing wood durably.
guzzijim

Post by guzzijim »

Thanks everybody for your help, have some samples coming, have also told customer to look at one on ebay, Lord of Frames has a pink comes in 2meter lengths.
Fat Jedi
Organisation: Working from Home
Interests: Art, Framing, all manner of Sci-fi geekiness!

Post by Fat Jedi »

Where people are recommending painting, waxing etc, would you do this to the moulding length or the completed frame?

Are there pro's and con's for either?

I did a hand painted and distressed gloss white frame for a customer and made the bare wood frame then, finished it. But an un-named framer told me off and said that I should've painted the moulding, then made the frame...

FJ
Somedays I'm the pigeon, but mostly I'm the ruddy statue!!
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

We had a visit for m our Arqadia rep this week and he tells me that a new catalogue is in production.

Robinc
JamesC

Post by JamesC »

I would say do the length first in most cases where strokes may be visible - avoids making a mess at the corners or masking.

Unless you are doing some kind of project where you don't want to see the mitre corner perhaps - unlikely but possible.

Arguably if you made the barewood frame first you can then give it to the fussier customer who can then make it any colour they want and bring it back for finishing.

Thanks Robin for the headsup
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Paint the lengths or the frame . . . .

Whichever way you like. I usually do the frame, as I often can then disguise the mitre joints, but some stains and paints react oddly at the corners, or if a bit of glue is present at the joint. This can look messy, so experiment.

It is, however, always worth the time and effort to sand the wood before, and in between coats
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
sim.on
Organisation: Hertfordshire
Interests: Classic cars

Post by sim.on »

On already assembled bare wood frames I've found the corners have to be absolutely spot on otherwise woodstains and dyes (even light ones) will darken the joint so I don't do it this way anymore.