Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Re: Framing Photos without a mount for a Photographer

Post by Bagpuss »

Steve Goodall wrote:The SWPP show is pretty big too & handy for anyone around London who doesn't want a trip to the NEC.
I'm definetly going to pop along next week to this show, I'm interested to see the sort of framing that Photographers are interested in, it never occurred to me that Photographers might actually prefer their photos without glass and with a laminate instead, which makes sense if they just want to see their photo without a mount round it. I'm quite open to new ideas and now I've got a Jetmounter I'd be quite happy to offer this service, even though I think it looks a bit tacky myself :giggle:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

well it not so much the material costs

its the time costs, i can laminate a print way quicker than having to cut glass and clean it etc

the cost of a bit of laminate is about the same as float glass here

float glass costs about 7 euros a sq m

laminates cost around the same give a take a little

but the time factor is much quicker

also cold and hot laminates are approx the same price too

the other way to make it save a lot of time, is print say 6 or 8 pictures on one big sheet, mount it and laminate it and cut it up after, this is even more speedy and can make it save a lot of cash
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

stcstc wrote: float glass costs about 7 euros a sq m
Thats expensive I pay about £2.70 a sheet (1.1sqm) Ok I buy it buy the case but on you calculation thats about £6.60 per sheet!!!! I would expect to pay about half that if I was buying 10 sheets. Is Ireland that expensive now.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

yea

if i buy a case i can get it down to 5.50
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

That is still expensive. It made my toes curl when it went up from 2.20 to 2.50 last year, mind you glass is still probably the one of cheapest part of a frame.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

ya i reckon its a transport thing though as its soooooo heavy relativley, and having to ship it into ireland i think is the issue

I know framers that are paying 10 euros for a 4*3 sheet +21% vat!!!
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I guess so It obviously has to come via the uk and not direct from China to an Irish Distributer.

Still expensive, I think I will have to scrub that cottage in Roundstone of my list of fantasy holiday home locations then. :lol: :lol:
prospero

Post by prospero »

I think it depends a lot on your setup and the quantity. If you can whack a load of photos on a board and heatseal them all in one go on a big press and slice them up after, then it's much more efficient than doing them individually.
Heavy textured film gives the photo the 'oil painting' look and is very effective on some subjects. Also a good plan where reflections are an issue.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
markw

Post by markw »

There is a huge difference in say processing a photo that can easily be reproduced against a traditionally created hand finished photo (Cibachrome etc). I am very cautious when dry mounting anything that is of unknown print origin - especially if I am using heat in the process. I know that Steve (stcstc) controls the printing and laminating, so has complete control - If you get work in from customers who dont know how the print has been processed - then be very cautious when laminating.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

mark

your right

if you dont know what the print is, be very very careful

As my prints are all inkjets, and can just be printed again if i screw it up, its not a big deal

also it means i get to pic the paper, which means i can choose one that works well with lamination
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Especially 'giclee' prints in a hot press as the combination of pressure and heat can effect some inks.

AG
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

the inks that cause most problems are epson K3 with B&W images

its because there is a high copper content in one of the black inks which reacts with heat and screws up the colour of the print.
TONY.W
Organisation: Branch Manager.Lion South PFS
Interests: Music,Playing the guitar and football

Post by TONY.W »

Hi Adam,
You can use econospacer to go either around the edge of the glass or around the frame.
If you are coming to the SWPP come on to the Lion stand and I'll show you some ways round it.
The econospacer comes in a few different sizes and comes in handy for lots of framing jobs.
Tony
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

markw wrote:There is a huge difference in say processing a photo that can easily be reproduced against a traditionally created hand finished photo (Cibachrome etc). I am very cautious when dry mounting anything that is of unknown print origin - especially if I am using heat in the process.
A very good point, when I had a very shiny panoramic Australian beach photo come in before Christmas, I did wonder how it would fair at 90C in the old Hot Press... Anyway I consulted the Oracle (Steve Goodhall) and he told me that this was probably a Cibachrome print and it wouldn't like the Hotpress
:(
Hence the new purchase of a 26" Jetmounter, a bit of an extravagence perhaps but I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it :clap:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
johnwphotography
Organisation: swadlincote
Interests: local history, industrial archaeology, landscape and walking

Post by johnwphotography »

Hi Bagpuss,
I think the way to go is to get one of Steves sample packs of laminates and prepare some samples of typical commercial portraits/jobs and show the photographer what you can offer with your new kit. They look really good in the contemporary frames, metallic or coloured and I soon think you will find a ready market for the younger set. The traditional wood/gilt frame glass and double mount will sell to us oldies. Horses for courses, learn to spot the winners and develop styles to suit your clients.
With the photographic show season coming, make a point of going to the one nearest you. If there isn't one within reach do always make a point of looking at what is on disply at the better photographers premises when you are out and about. You will soon learn what sells. Also worth having a browse in Ikea and the like, just to watch what people do buy. Just think, after their purchase has fallen apart they might come to you and buy a stronger and better made similar product where your expertise and experience can guide them to part with the right amount of cash for a proper job.
mikeallen
Organisation: amateur photographer
Interests: Photography

Post by mikeallen »

Re "I'm wondering if it's ever acceptable to place the photo directly against the glass ?" I wouldnt personally, wont you get possible issues with moisture etc ?
A couple times I have used xtratak board http://www.cadremont.co.uk/shop/ when not using a mount in a frame , I would always use a double mount though, usually a white / ivory top and then a choose a bottom mount colour where the colour is similar to one of the main colours in the art work. Works well with weddings - as they tend to be themed, so picking the colour is easier.
Keep calm and carry on I use these for my Mounts and general stuff
Picture Mounts - Made to measure mounts and things
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

I find a good alternative for photos with no mount laminating them, bonding them to foamcore and dropping into a floater frame.
floater.jpg
floater.jpg (5.55 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
Quick, easy, cheap, damp-proof, safe in children's bedrooms, spongeable (good for pubs, etc)...
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I've got a load of them for hotel corridors unless the designer changes his mind (and gets more budget) and goes for the framed and mounted option :cash: :cash: :cash: