Framing a large map

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
shiltonphoto
Organisation: ShiltonPhoto
Interests: Framing, Landscape Photography, Football, sports etc...

Framing a large map

Post by shiltonphoto »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I've done a lot of framing with photo's, art etc... so I have got to grips with most things of a 'standard' size until now. I have been asked by a friend to frame a map!

It seems Ordinance Survey is allowing people to order maps, of which in the centre is the person’s house, a particular landmark, or a route of a favourite walk etc...

The map my friend has is a full size one (approximately 35" square) and so I can't seem to find a supplier of mounting board large enough to surround the map in order to frame it with a suitable amount of boarder. My normal supplier provides the largest mounting board at 44" x 32" which isn't quite big enough.

Has anyone framed something as large as this and if so what method did you use? Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to mount it, or is there an alternate method?

Many thanks,
Chris.
Graysalchemy

Re: Framing a large map

Post by Graysalchemy »

The easiest solution is to get someone with an oversize CMC to cut one for you and just factor in the cost. The other method is to make a slip using arqadia 151400000 joint it like a frame and hand paint it using undercoat and an eggshell paint. This is then used instead of a mount in the conventional way. The only issue you may have is that it is wood and thus is not conservation standard and shouldn't be put against paper. However you could line it with archival tape or stips of archival mount board/ barrier board, if you felt the need.

Good Luck
huntvambo
Organisation: Framed
Interests: Music, cycling, drinking, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Post by huntvambo »

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

I recently framed an OS map centered on the customer postcode. You should be able to get jumbo sized mountboard 1630mm x 1120mm from most suppliers. Certainly all of the mountboard manufacturers make jumbo board, albeit in limited colour range, but you may then have the problem that you can't cut a board that size unless you've got a "jumbo" mount cutter.

Fortunately my customer only wanted the actual map on view and only with a very narrow mount 25mm mount, so I was able to use normal size mountboard.

The big problem I had was that the actual map was not square which I didn’t realize until I came to mount it. It was actually trapezoidal, top and bottom were horizontal but the sides were off at an angle but still parallel, when I measured across the corners there was a difference of approximately 25mm.
This particular map had not been printed directly by OS but by a map shop and the weight of the paper was considerably less than a normal OS map so maybe an “original” OS map would be okay! This was also rolled rather than folded.

I phoned the customer as soon as I realized the issue and we agreed I’d do the best I could, it could always be replaced. With a lot of jiggery pokery I was able to get it so that you couldn’t see it wasn’t square but it took some time, so measure before you commit.

The other problem is just the size, it’s big bit of glass, it’s awkward to maneuver, etc. Make sure the moulding chosen is man enough to take the weight, my customer choose aluminum. I mounted it onto sticky board, Simons Back 12, as conservation framing wasn't a requirement from the customer.

Hope that helps and I’m sure other on here can offer more advice.

Regards
Paul
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Chris. :D

I think maybe you are making extra work having a mount around.
I would be inclined to drymount it and frame it under glass with spacers. Then use a generous frame. A narrow mount isn't really fulfilling any useful purpose, either in a visual or practical way. It's just making the job more complicated.

If you want to be 'archival', get two copies of the map and keep one pristine copy safe in a tube. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

A small coloured frame slip eg arqadia 128127000 or perhaps 161000127, used under the glass may take the job of a spacer and just give the map a bit of visual space between the mount and the frame especially if a dark frame is being used.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I have done these before and dry mounted then overlaminated which saves having to have glass. I seem to remember doing it on standard 44 x 32 display board though so I don't know if OS have changed the sizes.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Don't your suppliers have 60" x 40" mat/mountboards? Most suppliers down here have them. That would enable you to have 2.5" all the way around the map.
I certainly wouldn't be concerned about glazing at this size. 2mm or 3mm clear glass would work. UV or Non reflective should be available too. Acrylic could also be used if you want to save on weight.
shiltonphoto

Post by shiltonphoto »

Thanks everyone for the reply's, its quite interesting to get other people's opinions - especially those who've been there, done that etc...

Nigel, I've not seen 60" x 40" mountboards before, but will enquire - I've mainly kept to one or two main suppliers but this makes me feel that I'm possibly not getting the full range of boards available to me. Interesting....

Also, good point about the glass - could be a stumbling point. I'd prefer acrylic to save weight, but I will probably have to order in bulk rather an a one off which is starting to put me off doing the job a bit as I prefer to work with glass so would be left with a load of it afterwards!

I'm considering a deep rebate moulding which would possible eliminate the need for a mount if I get everything right - I'll have to think it through a bit before hand.

Many thanks once again everyone, its appreciated.

:clap:
prospero

Post by prospero »

The range of 60x40 boards is quite limited. And another thing that people tend to forget are the logistical problems with actually getting the stuff delivered intact. Easier if you order a quantity as a decent stack with be less prone to damage. A single sheet or even two will very flimsy and the chances of it getting to you totally undamaged are quite slim.

As far as glazing goes, 35" is the magic number. Most framers tend to use glass 36x48 sheets. A piece 36" square will be heavy(ish), but not OTT. A decent width of moulding well fixed will cope with it. If the customer wants a minimal frame, then there is always the subframe method. But I am getting ahead of myself now......
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Acrylic will be lighter but more expensive and runs the risk of scratching either in the workshop or in the clients home. Over cleaning at home plays havoc with acrylic :giggle: :giggle: , and you may get grief a few months down the line if you don't point out the fragility of it.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

is the map laminated??

why bother with glass if it is
shiltonphoto

Post by shiltonphoto »

No its not laminated.

I've actually seen a front loading frame at lionpic.co.uk (http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/15-x-2 ... 079,0.aspx), which you can use clips to secure the glass. I think this may be a possible route, but the moulding they're supplying is very thin, so I don't think it'll be strong enough for the size I'm working with. Obviosuly too much flex and the glass will give. I'm trying to find out it they've got any thicker sizes to add a bit more strength.

I may have possibly bitten off more that I can chew with this one. Ooops!
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Is the map your friend has one of the folded ones that are sold at 100cm x 89cm?

They are available at 80cm x 80 cm and come rolled in a tube. These can easily be dry mounted and overlaminated on a Hotpress or similar machine.

Here's a link to the relevantpage on the OS website: http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osselect/
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Hi Shiltonphoto

I wouldn't personally consider a frontloader frame with glass in it, at the size you are talking about. You've then got a big sheet of glass just supported by the clips . . . .

If you want that sort of minimal look, then dry mount and laminate the map, and then it wont need glass in it.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
markw

Post by markw »

Frontloader frame - hairs on the back of my neck stood up at the thought of something that size breaking in the customers house. I frame loads of these - and to be honest they are cheap maps with little long term value. I dry mount - They are on very thin paper.

I always have one in the gallery - with a big sign saying that I can get them centred on your house - sell quite a few and they make me a good profit.