Just Getting Started? Some Things to Consider…

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Many framers will tell you that once this business gets in your blood, it's likely to stay there, no matter what other course your life may take. You may move on to other types of work, but chances are you'll remember with fondness the creative and constructive talents you developed while working in the framing shop.

Or vice-versa. If you're coming into the business from another career, there are many things to consider, and not just the fun and satisfaction derived from working with art and custom framing.

Even if you've already had the doors open for, say, up to a year or two, there are some things you should be thinking about in terms of your new business. Here are six important pieces of advice for the prospective shop owner:

If you haven't already done so, your top priority should be to make sure the idea works on paper. Instead of leaping headlong into the purchase of equipment and supplies, put together a detailed business plan and outline your sales objectives and marketing strategies, matching them up carefully with the funds you have available.

Pay attention to the level of working capital you possess. Setting up a business is like building a home-unforeseen expenses are bound to arise. And you have to be somewhat prepared for them. Plus, the amount of working capital will dictate important decisions for your business-location, staff, the size and type of space you can afford, just to name a few.

When projecting the cost of operating your frame shop, don't just think in terms of the money you'll spend on large items. Framing is a business of commodities-lots of small things that have to come together to make up the completed project. It's easy to forget that little things like bumpers, screws and nails in quantity tend to add up quickly.

Be consistent and persistent with your promotional efforts, especially advertising. This is the easiest to overlook or just plain ignore, but it's also the lifeline to your future business. Omit it at your peril. It'll take time and a steady stream of messages to familiarize the public with your name, services, location and business philosophy. Some of this costs; some of it just takes time and some creative thinking.

Provide your clients with something that no one else does-a special level of service, an unusual product line, or some other offering that will cause them to remember you. Make sure you have a "distinctive competence" that sets you apart from the rest. Otherwise, you're just another retailers without a compelling reason for a consumer to visit you.

Above all, don't go into the framing business if you don't enjoy interacting with people on a daily basis. This industry is built and sustained on the strength of personal relationships, and your customers are bound to sense it if your work doesn't come from the heart.

Copied from Decor E-Tips
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Things To Consider

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi All,

When I first started, like a lot of framers I started framing as a hobby from a garden shed / garage / dining room/ spare bedroom and within a few short months I got so busy I then was thrown out of the house and told to go and find a place on the High Street.

First thing to consider is your pricing policy, and how your new prices are going to have to cover all the new costs of Rent, Rates, Telephone, etc. One thing I quickly learned is that you cannot hike your prices so much just because you have these new costs, that will enevitably make you fail, and very darn quickly. Once you have sorted out a happy medium and increased the prices enough to cover the costs (and no more) you can gradually over time increase them more.

As for advertsing, I have found over the years that newspaper / magazine ads just do not work, a complete waste of money, if anyone does read them, its merely a passing glance. OK you can offer a 10% discount to those that bring in the ad, some do, most dont, and not everyone buys the paper you might advertise in. There are two methods I use for advertsing, one is a 'Mail Shot', and again like most people now a days we print our own on our own computers, and then using a niece, a nephew, a daughter and wife, and for the cost of a couple of burgers and a drink, every household in the area can be covered within a few days, the other, and best method is 'Word of Mouth', do good quality work at the right price and the word will spread very quickly, do one bad job and it spreads even quicker.
I do mail shots approx. 2 or 3 times a year, just simply advertsing the fact that I am in the High Street, and basically what I frame, because you will still get the odd person coming in (no matter how long you have been prominent in the street) saying 'I didnt know you were here' I also target new developments and even putting a leaflet into an empty house can make a huge difference, someone, somewhere, at sometime will pick it up and look at it, even if they are throwing it away.

Opening a picture framing business isnt as daunting as one would be led to believe. It is one business that can be run at a loss, as long as you have enough to cover your outgoings, and a few quid in your pocket, you can compete and survive. Although running at a loss for a sustained lenght of time is not advisable, no sonse working your butt off for no return. As long as you have the right equipment, use the correct materials, have the drive to succeed, and the will to work long hours when times are busy, and the patience to hold fire when times are a bit slow, there is no reason why anyone opening a framing business cannot succeed.

I also have one other policy that my wife and I stick rigidly to, we do not criticise other framers, especialy those that work from home and just havent amassed the knowledge we now have. We just take in the work and reframe it, or remount it, restretch it, whatever, and say nothing. I just hand them a leaflet that I have made myself giving information about us, our qualifications, our methods, the materials we use, etc. and let them make up their own minds as to where they go for their next piece of framing. Works everytime.

Talk soon,

Steven
SquareFrames
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
markw

Post by markw »

I was told once "the best time to advertise is when your busy" . I would tend to agree that ads in magazines and papers are a waste of time - having tried it and monitored the results i am convinced that you can spoend your money far more wisely. smaller publications - church magazines - school functions etc can work - The good old mail shot still seems to be the most productive. Word of mouth is by far my best advertising - and i reinforce this by printing a message on the bottom of my invoice basically asking people to refer my services to thier friends - it works.

The other much missed opportunity is the label on the back of the frame - many pictures are given as presents and its suprising how many people will come in because they have looked at the label - seen that you do a good job etc.
Artists - over the years i have developed good relations with a number of artists who work to commision - I bend over backwards to give them a first class service and i recomend their services free of charge - giving out brochures to potential customers - in return i do all of their framing - often gaining a good customer from the commisions when they see my label on the back of the frame.

The last point about being able to relate to people is vital- if you cant do the front of shop bit with a smile on your face - then the workshop will be empty as no one will trust you. you sell yourself first - the business follows.
SquareFrames
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Things To Consider

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Markw,

In total agreement, sorry I forgot one of the most important items, the label on the back, nothing goes out of our workshops unless there is a label. I would strongly advise any framer that doesnt use labels, to start doing so, its amazing how many people actually look at the back as well as the front.

Also totally agree that small chruch, community magazines are best and do work, and any one running these type of peiodicals are only too glad of the little money it costs to advertise.

One item I also have forgotten to mention is: We also have a gallery attached to our workshops, so a different kettle of fish when it comes to getting the message across. We take the time once every quarter and send out little postcards to those clients that are very supportive to buying paintings from us, telling them of new artwork or new artists. We also send via email images of new artwork to certain clients just for information purposes, and then have one maybe two exhibitions per year and send out the complete mailing list an invitation, knowing that only 1 or 2% will attned an opening evening, the rest come in at their own time and pace. We never force anyone to come along, by putting restrictions, like time and dates, we have found that by letting the client be more comfortable and at a time that suits them, even if it means staying an hour or so after normal closing, they respond better.

Steven
SquareFrames
GCF Examination Centre
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Sorry folks not John here merely his humble gallery assistant who can't be bothered to log out and in again as herself. :wink:

I think that the best form of advertising, as you have all mentioned, is word of mouth. This comes from excellent customer care and going maybe that inch further. It's something I learned during my ten years of torture :evil: in the hospitality trade - you treat someone how you would like to be treated yourself and they will be back.

In addition I think it is important to treat other framers with a little respect and courtesy. As they will be more likely to recommend you for a job they can't do themselves, for whatever reason, rather than someone who has been a complete b******d towards them in the past.

Enjoying all the tips and ideas so keep on posting folks, it's helping a wee newby like myself find my feet in the framing world. :D
SquareFrames

Things To Consider

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Humble Assistant,

Like I stated in my posting, we never criticise any other framer, most of us started from humble beginings, there arent too many framers about that simply walked into the job, opened a high street shop one day and started making frames.

I agree and we have a great relationship with quite a few other local framers, we continually bounce ideas off each other, ring for assistance, send each other customers, etc., there is no shame or harm in that, framers do not know it all, havent framed it all, and I have yet to meet one that does, so its far better sending a customer to a framer that knows how to do a particular job or get assistance. We may all be out to make a living, but as you say we have to treat every other framer and most importantly every customer with care and give them the attention they deserve. Smiling costs nothing, even if Man United come close to getting beat...again!!!!!

Steven
SquareFrames
GCF Examination Centre
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Humble assistant (Sarah) here again.

I think the best illustration for us, with regards to treating other framers with respect, came when our business, Scenes, was burnt out in April. We couldn't have been in better hands, all the help and kind words as well as gifts from other framers and galleries was overwhelming. So it's true what they say what goes round comes round. Kindness breeds kindness. :D

Oh, and smiling indeed works wonders even keeps you calm when all the customer wants to do is spend hours choosing a frame. I have known my face to hurt more than my feet at the end of the day. :? :)