Playing on a CMC

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Playing on a CMC

Post by David »

This was another of my samples that was on the Gunnar stand at the Spring Fair. I'd been thinking about celtic knots for some time but more as a decorative boarder on a mount than a centre piece. I just wanted to see if I could do it.
IMG_6878Alowres.jpg
IMG_6878Alowres.jpg (145.51 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: Playing on a CMC

Post by JohnMcafee »

Genius!

How did you do it, David?
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

David, when you're creating this, and the SAS one, are you using the software that comes with the Gunnar, or another programme?
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Inspiring design and work, David! I was having a look at your Gunnar mounts page on your website, brilliant stuff! :D
markw

Post by markw »

David
Have you done this as a single layer with inserts - or as a triple layer mount. I presume you designed this in Coreldraw or similar then imported it as a .plt file.
David

Post by David »

Here's a couple more on the same theme:
IMG_6880Alowres.jpg
IMG_6880Alowres.jpg (228.42 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
IMG_6876Alowres.jpg
IMG_6876Alowres.jpg (111.04 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
All the design work was done in the standard GMC software that comes with the Gunnar. I do use Corel but for simple things like this I find it easier and quicker to start from scratch. I'm still new to Corel so I find it rather slow but that's down to me, I'm much happier with Photoshop and I've learnt the Gunnar software quicker. The SAS one was also done completely on the Gunnar software.

The components of the design are a top mount, with rounded triangle, and bottom mount. A circle with standard bevel on the inside reverse bevel on the outside and the tricky bit is a separate three pointed star - I'll take some more photos to show it.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

David,
I love those!
The designs you make are a great demonstration of the Gunnar machine and the GMC software's capabilities.

I am quite envious really. I have a twelve year old Gunnar Rapido, which still does great work, but doesn't have the newer enhancements in the later models or the GMC software.
markw

Post by markw »

David - are you coming to the Framers Forum - would love to see those designs in the flesh. I wouldn't tackle anything as elaborate as that within Futuremat Designer. It can only be said that every advance in software creates the initiative for the competition to ratchet up their offerings. Not (or should that be knot) so difficult to do in Coreldraw but I am impressed that you have so much control in the machines software.
David

Post by David »

Hi markw, yes I'll be there and hope to have some bits on the Gunnar stand, I will be taking 'Who Dares' but will make sure there are some knots as well. They look better close up as the photos flatten them out, should try taking the pictures at an angle. Should have some new stuff as well. Look forward to meeting you.