Experienced eyes please

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Nigel Nobody

Re: Experienced eyes please

Post by Nigel Nobody »

James,
Your point of view on white mats is interesting. I've have never heard the point of view, that a white mat allows "any design" to breath. I disagree with that point of view!
Lots of white space gives any design room to breath
I guess if a framer is going to put white mats on anything they frame, it would certainly be a benefit to stock control.

I don't have an aversion to white mats, unless they are not in harmony with a piece of art.

I reckon Robo is spot on!
prospero

Post by prospero »

I must agree with Ormond there. (And Robo). It's easy to fall into a blinkered view on certain 'design rules'. I've seen framed pictures that break practically ever 'rule' and I would never have even contemplated using that design. Yet they work. :D

I once saw a very delicate watercolour (about 20x16) in a 5" wide very ornate swept frame - with a 5" wide washline mount with wrapped bevels. That flew against quite a few so-called rules, but it looked great.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Nigel Nobody wrote:James,
I don't have an aversion to white mats, unless they are not in harmony with a piece of art.
Dito for black mounts unfortunately I very rarely see artwork which would befit a black mount, black slip or inner mount yes. Also who would buy a piece of art with a black mount you would have difficulty sitting it in most decor styles apart from perhaps Bela Lugosi's front room.
markw

Post by markw »

I dont have too many rules as far as mounting is concerned - I suppose my rule of thumb is to put down a few samples that I think might work. I do apply a few principles similar to Robo's if I am doing say a wedding photo - then I use the principle of using a mount that makes the brides dress look good - generally a shade thats slightly darker than the dress - slightly lighter and the dress will tend to look a bit dirty.

I work with a few interior designers and have had my opinions of using colours in mounts changed - thinking at first that really wont work - to thinking - umm that was inspired. we never stop learning.

I love wide mounts - but the principle of big blank space is a danger - and you need to be sensitive to how it looks - nothing better than assessing how it looks before you frame - never too late to cut it down to get the proportions right.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

If only there was some way to visualise the job, say on the computer screen, before making the frame...
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't tell me John you know a company who might have such a facility :lol: :lol:

Good point though John. I think if I was retail I would invest in one of those said systems it would probably cut down the time you spend with customers trying to decide.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Graysalchemy wrote: Dito for black mounts unfortunately I very rarely see artwork which would befit a black mount, black slip or inner mount yes. Also who would buy a piece of art with a black mount you would have difficulty sitting it in most decor styles apart from perhaps Bela Lugosi's front room.
I see artwork on a regular basis that benefits from a black mat. I sell a lot of black mats! (I also sell a lot of off white mats) Perhaps it's Bela Lugosi who has been coming in regularly for so many years in many disguises? LOL. :wink: :wink:

Hey John......that visualisation idea is an absolute cracker. What a boon to the framing industry that would be. :wink: :wink:

I actually have visualisation software, but only use it when a customer will not make up their mind. It is a very valuable tool.