Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
marky9
Organisation: Wish I had some!
Interests: Art, keyboard player in blues band....man

Window poster

Post by marky9 »

Just had a fellow shop-owner with a couple of vinyl posters that she wants to put in the window back to back. I initially thought of placing them between two sheets of acrylic and hanging them from Lions cable display system. Looking in the catalogue, they seem to have discontinued it, so now what?
So, do you think this will be the best method - anybody got any other ideas? If I do use this technique, will they stay put and not slide down the acrylic? Lastly, where can I get the cable suspension system from? Thanks for any help. Mark
stcstc

Re: Window poster

Post by stcstc »

are they adhesive posters?

why not stick them to the acrylic?
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

What about poster snaps? metal bar top and bottom... and cheap!

http://www.sign-holders.co.uk/Hanging-p ... c-1-32-84/
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

If the posters are only being hung for a short term, dry mount them to foamboard, one to each side, then hang with wire hangers - or short lengths of nylon fishing line. If they are long term, or need to be reused, then heat seal them to help them last a bit longer.
GUNNAR

Post by GUNNAR »

I had the same problem with the Lion Catalogue when I was looking for a hanging system for Focus. Their hanging sytems have been moved to the Lion Fine Print Catalogue . May be you'll have more luck there.

Sarah /Gunnar
johnwphotography
Organisation: swadlincote
Interests: local history, industrial archaeology, landscape and walking

Post by johnwphotography »

When I was taught shop window display, a long time ago, everything was suspended from simple rails or hooks by medium gauge nylon fishing line. The artwork would be on stiff card ( 3 or 4mm thick) with holes drilled to thread the nylon through. You would need a thin wooden strip to stiffen anything much longer than 24", shop windows do get incredibly hot. Acrylic would shatter or injure if it dropped. I am not too sure but suspect foamboard might suffer a slow cheesewire slicing from the nylon line. Hope this helps, a " system " is totally unecessary overkill.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

We use foamboard regularly and have not had a problem with a "cheesewire" effect - there is not enough weight for this to be a problem. Large pieces can curl however so it depends on the size of the poster - having just read the original post and seen that the posters are printed on vinyl, foamboard is probably not the best as it will be difficult to stick the posters to it.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

RobinC wrote: foamboard is probably not the best as it will be difficult to stick the posters to it.
Why would it be difficult to stick vinyl to foamboard???
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

Post by daveym »

When I used to do vinyl printing and large format printing for nightclubs, we used to use corex board...seems to be the cheapest board going, and most sturdy easily allowing for holes to be placed. For short term usage we used cheap spray adhesive and I still have some old poster boards in my garage that are over 5 years old still holding.