Autumn fair

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
markw

Autumn fair

Post by markw »

Anyone visiting this years autumn fair expecting to see any framing related stand will be sadly disapointed. The art and framing section comprises about 70 exhibitors - of that number i counted 1 exhibiting moulding - 2 computerised mount cutters - Lion had a stand but little to display (they did have some mouldings - so we had better make that 2 moulding co's) the rest displaying prints. i had walked around the whole art and framing section (3 ROWS) in 30 mins. I had been told past shows were disapointing - but i didnt realise just how flat they were. - Pete Bingham was there - but he looked a bit lost. Am i the only one to feel the Spring and Autumn fairs have lost there fizz - i can remember a few years ago looking forward to the spring fair - there was always so much to see that you felt that you must have missed some of it - the last spring fair I attended was viewed in two hours - twice - with a distinct abscence of some major distributors it felt very flat, the autumn fair so flat its just not worth visiting.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Thanks for the report Mark.

I prefered the old Olympia show which was dedicated to our business rather than Birmingham where we are a small framing fish in a very big giftware pond.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Mark. Yes likewise very dissappointed. I travelled 5 hours from Cornwall to get there. For the first time in many years of visiting, I found the car parks empty. Once inside the hall, I really did wonder if the 'show' had opened !!! A distinct lack of footfall. Yes I too, managed two complete circuits of the exhibits in under one hour. That included 25 minutes talking to a team member on the FATG stand. That too produced no results or answers apart from 'we are sorry, we are trying'.

The big league players in moulding were definately not playing. Claiming it is getting far too expensive now and are beginning to look at smaller area exhibitions. Fat chance of that happening for anybody in Cornwall. You just maybe lucky if you are a framer in Devon !!!!!

Cannot really say that I was impressed by some of the 'prints' either. A lot of small distributers on display. I really do wish them luck, but just wonder if they will be around for the show in 2005.

Having said all that the weather was wonderful. So it was a very pleasant ?? read bum numbing !! 6 hour drive back to Cornwall..
John GCF
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Autumn Fair

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Folks,

Unforunately I was unable to attend this year's Autumn Fair, for no other reason that I had a student start my Framing School, yesterday, Monday 6th Sept. Having said that I have never attended the AF, having always been told that it is not the one to attend, but I would have liked this year to have seen it for myself, but, hey! what can you do?

The Spring Fair is normally the show to beat all shows, but over the past couple of years I have noticed that it is geared towards Prints, Prints, Prints, and in my opinion to be honest at the present time there arent too many new and innovative framing ideas reaching the market place, but I always like to attend, 'just in case' someone is giving away a free Wizard or Zund. One lives in hope. I usually take about 2 days to go round the fair after meeting and talking to people, you get sidetracked, time flies by and before you know it, you have seen nothing, so another day or two is in order. One year I even demonstrated at the Guild stand, to which I might add I enjoyed very much, an excellent 20 mimute stint.

Not making excuses here, but for us living across this side of the pond, its very difficult to arrange opening hours, travel arrangements, whether to fly in, go by boat and hire a car, or just go by boat and drive ourselves, etc. so wife and I normally take a few extra days and make a wee jaunt around South Wales, visit a few friends and one of our artists, have a few pints of the localised rocket fuel and generally chill out for a week. But the cost of a one day visit to the Spring Fair would cost us in excess of £300.00 including one night in a hotel 'if you could get one at a reasonable price', quite expensive if your not buying anything? I am not sure how long an 11 hour round trip would cost, but I dont think anywhere near our costs, but I feel for Merlin Framers, long way to go for nowt'

I agree that the Fair seriously needs a revamp, rethink, whatever you want to call it for the Art & Framing section, I know of one large moulding manufacturer who decided against showing and passed the stand savings onto their customers in the form of discounts, etc. and excellent idea, so who is next to follow suit? Lets see what the Spring Fair Brings us, lets hope its a great show, one worth while taking a week off work for??

Steven
SquareFrames
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre