MOMENT OF PANIC!

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

MOMENT OF PANIC!

Post by Tudor Rose »

Smartly dressed woman walks in to the workshop brandishing a crowbar, do you:-

a) presume the worst and cower behind the counter :sweating: ;
or
b) greet your regular customer warmly and hope you haven't done anything to offend her in some way :sweating: ;
or
c) greet your regular customer warmly and presume she must want the crowbar framed :clap: .

Luckily for us it was (c) - leaving present for someone apparently.

So the next question is, has anyone had to frame something as heavy as a crowbar and any suggestions on fixings. The crowbar is to hang vertically. We have a few thoughts on how to do this, but any ideas would be welcome.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Chair & Master May 2019 to May 2022
Graysalchemy

Re: MOMENT OF PANIC!

Post by Graysalchemy »

Is it to be conservation framed, sorry to ask but don't want offend the Conservation Police (they are after me). If so then use melinex straps. However if it is not then tie it with fishing line of a suitable weight. If the client doesn't want any visible attachments then perhaps you could cut an outline out of a mount and 5mm foam core with another mount board back and stick in with arildite or silicon. Most of the weight would be mechanically be supported by the cut out.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Snag with fishing line is it deteriorates especially with exposure to light and goes brittle (ask any angler).

Wire does not only come in silver and copper colours. Try a fishing tackle supplier for coloured wires that are used in fly tying for a colour to match the metal of the crowbar.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Not having fished for 18 yrs I didn't think of that.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Weld a couple of bolts to the back. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

my only question is WHY, i assume it has some significance did they tell you why?
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

HSS drill bit, drill a couple of holes in the back then use a tap and die set and put a thread in it...............pva your backing mount to a bit of plywood(or similar) for stability, then get a couple of machine bolts, drill a couple of holes through the backing(to line up with the holes on the crowbar)..........join together, make a box, make a frame , cut a mount, cut glass, assemble, job done :clap:

Invisible fixings FTW :rock:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Graysalchemy wrote:Is it to be conservation framed.
What! A crowbar? I don't think it needs much protecting!

However it will take a bit more than Araldite or silicone. I think we are talking about a bit of weight here. Melinex straps and perhaps formed rods too, if the weight requires a lot of supporting.

BTW, I'm not sure about drilling a crow bar, I suspect that they are made from seriously hard steel.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

It was a Secret Santa present some years ago that the boss brandishes at people when he is in that sort of mood (makes me glad my office working days are over). The boss is now leaving and so the rest of the office are getting this for him as a leaving pressie. We are possibly adding a "break glass in case of emergency" caption, but they are taking a vote on that.

It is VERY heavy so seriously strong support is needed - we will post a piccie when it is done. Thanks for all the comments, any more suggestions gratefully received.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Chair & Master May 2019 to May 2022
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

BTW, I'm not sure about drilling a crow bar, I suspect that they are made from seriously hard steel.
With the right tools and knowledge, everything is possible :-D

Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Not your average framer wrote:
What! A crowbar? I don't think it needs much protecting!
No but the Conservation police are after me so I had to say it.
Not your average framer wrote:
However it will take a bit more than Araldite or silicone. I think we are talking about a bit of weight here.
If you read my suggestion I said to put it in a rebate which would support the weight. And anyway you can glue a car to a crane with araldite. :giggle: :giggle:
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Graysalchemy wrote:No but the Conservation police are after me so I had to say it.
Within reason everyone gets a fair crack of the whip, but this is new thread and it is not helpful to carry this thing over on to another thread. You've had your say on the other thread, it's time to move on!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I can't help it if the conservation police keep on picking on me, I hope you have spoken to them too. It seems that every time I give advice or air my thoughts someone is on me. If I didn't think I needed to cover my back with the conservation thing then I wouldn't.
Not your average framer

Allister,

Both you and Roboframer are addressing the same subject from your own particular positions and both of you have made valid contributions, which are much appreciated. Until now the moderators have chosen not to make a big thing about what is a minor disagreement and will soon blow over.

No one is stopping you or Roboframer from having their say and iIt's not often that we choose to intervene, but we do need to draw a line sometimes and in this case I'm trying to contain the matter to the thread where it started. We don't have many rules, but sometimes we may give a gentle nudge to avoid more trouble later and affecting relationships on the forum with more drastic actions.

BTW, I think that it is good to have you and Roboframer showing both the conservation methods and the most price driven options. Well done to you both!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
sim.on
Organisation: Hertfordshire
Interests: Classic cars

Post by sim.on »

You could fashion some clips a bit like plumbers saddle clips and screw them through mountboard to a rigid backing. Obviously they would be seen, I personally would make them a feature of the finished framing job if they didn't look too clumsy. Would look good if they held the crowbar away from the mountboard a bit. They would have to be bent round a bit at the back to do this. Maybe bent round a lot and a small clamp bolt added at the back of each one. Then again I'm probably typing complete ****!
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

What about clear cable ties? Through holes in 6mm mdf as backing

Perhaps use acrylic instead of glass to lessen the weight a bit
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

I agree with Simon that if you don't hide the fixings - going for something industrial looking that might compliment it may be a way forward e.g. chain, pipe brackets, bolts and so on. I did this with a heavy piece of framed perspex with agricultural bolts and used some fairly meaty washers on the backboard too. Went to my local hardware/agricultural store for inspiration. The brief was for something industrial looking.

The crowbar should have a humorous caption like "the persuader", or "25 years of making friends and influencing people".

I too am a boss and have such a crowbar, bit like in the asian factories I saw on the news, for settling undustrial disputes - LOL. I actually bought mine for a non-violent use of ripping down a partition wall when we moved units. It's a nice office accessory though.

For a really crazy thought I'm starting to wonder if a vacuum press could ever be used to vacuum pack an item onto a backboard under laminate? Probably a crowbar is too ambitious. I'm just thinking out loud now and probably that is a terrible idea not possible and likely to damage the press - please do not try that at home. A plastics company could probably vac-form a nice thick blister pack for a crowbar though...

That would lend itself to some very humourous branding and presentation! Bit like a pack of scissors or superglue.
guzzijim
Organisation: Dumfries & Galloway
Interests: Photography, Colour Management, Sea Fishing

Post by guzzijim »

Since the boss used to brandish this item when he was in a bad mood (seeing red), how about.....
Get one of those kits that are used for making silicon moulds of baby's hands and feet, which are then in turn filled with plaster or in this case something stronger (resin ).
A crowbar grasping hand could be painted red, maybe! and the fixing bolt / bracket could be concealed within.
Just a thought !!
Not your average framer

The cable ties sound like a good option and they are produced in different sizes, so be careful to get a size which is strong enough to carry the weight for the long term. They are made of nylon and clear nylon can degrade over time as exposed to ultra violet light. The ratchet latch in these things is only ever a very small piece of nylon, so be aware when selecting a large enough cable tie.

Car accessory and hardware shops usually stock them in black only, as this prevents the ultra violet degradation.

I'm not inclined to use Mylar straps on this, because the straps will need to rely upon being secured with adhesive tape and it's a lot of weight to trust to a self adhesive bond over the longer term.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

For my mind it is one to spot weld two pieces of allthread on the upper and lower portions and then bolt through onto a 3mm thick MDF backboard. Well professional 8)