Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
johnwphotography
Organisation: swadlincote
Interests: local history, industrial archaeology, landscape and walking

Re: MOMENT OF PANIC!

Post by johnwphotography »

Wouldn't Terry spring tool clips screwed or bolted onto a suitably decorated wooden backing be more appropriate here.
sim.on
Organisation: Hertfordshire
Interests: Classic cars

Post by sim.on »

Is it a big office?
demotivator_(40).jpg
demotivator_(40).jpg (68.3 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If you want the thing suspended mid-frame with no visible (no matter how hard you look) attachments then you're going to have to use some serious adhesive/welding or make holes in the back and bolt it, all of which have been covered.

Personally though I wouldn't have a problem with visible attachments, many of which also have been covered. A crowbar in its natural surroundings - for want of a better term - would probably be hanging from a rusty nail, so I'd use something like on the hooked end and that would be it totally supported ..... but of course if the frame was tilted, laid face-down or upside-down, it would come off, which would be bad! So, I'd probably make that nail a hook so it cannot move up or down and then one more attachment, probably a wide Melinex strap to stop sideways/forward movement - job done?

The pro's and cons would be discussed with the customer and if the crowbar, the whole crowbar and nothing but the crowbar ..... is all that is wanted to be visible - fine - fire 'er up.

I'd just like to add that a fastening method that does nothing to an object, no holes, no gunk, does not have to have anything to do with the 'C' word - just failsafe, quick, cheap and pretty simple.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Actually..... Now I have had time to think about it.... It only needs a couple of self-tapping screws. Don't have to be big. Drill a couple of holes in the 'back' and screw to a solid back board (6mm MDF?) using a few washers to space it away. This way it should not weaken the bar should it ever need to be used again for it's original purpose. Welding will discolour the metal or paint if it's painted.

Simples. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

The simple solutions are always the best in framing just takes a bit of lateral thinking and jobs a goodun.

By the way i have glued my crowbar to a piece of backing board with silicon and it looks like it would hold :giggle: :giggle: .
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

just be careful drilling hardend steel also self tappers might not go in

what about using sign spacers with strapping through it to give you space and the strap to give you strength

could even use something like juibelee clips as they will look industrial
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

How about rare earth magnets - the Valiani CMC heads are secured by them and it takes a forked tool rammed between the head and the magnet to shift it.

Useful link - http://www.powermagnetstore.com/
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I have got some spare Kyptonite oh and some rare magic crystals a was once given. Failing that just stick a Jedi Knight behind it and ask him to use the force.

Anyone get the idea these suggestions are getting more bizarre.
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

Whatever is used the back will need to be strong to support the weight without collapsing. Keep it simple works for me so the cable ties sound good or some spring clips like http://www.jhmbuttco.com/acatalog/Shop_ ... s_984.html this might do the job. The could be bolted to the back through the undermount using small nuts and bolts. No need for any mechanical or welding experience.
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

It strikes me that this is a discussion to have with the customer. Do you want straight-forward and simple (cable ties) that you can see? (Cheapest, quickest, and you can have it next week), Or do you want clever, looks like it's suspended in mid-air, but will take longer and cost more?

I did a Fireman's axe once - glued mountboard to fomecore, cable ties through small holes, and through some metal mending plates behind the fomecore to act as a washer. Quick and easy, cost effective (this too was a leaving present - the price fitted in with their collection money).

It looked good - happy customers.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

Post by absolute framing »

My recommendation would be to fix the crowbar directly to the wall.

Then make a box frame with glass, no mount, no backing.
Place the frame over the crowbar and fit frame to wall using mirrorplates or similar.
The part of the wall covered by the frame can be painted a colour to suit.
Stephen Strahan
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

How would the crowbar be fixed to the wall, who's going to fix it to the wall, paint the wall and, with an un-sealed unit, what about dust, airborne pollutants and insects getting in?

(Disclaimer .... Not a 'C' word issue - it's a lump of iron ....... although I suppose insects could puke and poo on the item and leave stains ..... but who'd want to unscrew at least 2 mirror plates and dust, de-cobweb and clean the wall, the crowbar and the inside of the glass ....... More - what if you're using mountboard-covered glass spacers - can't clean those like you can clean glass or the crowbar, they'd get minging)

You're a framer (Disclaimer - the word 'you're' is not aimed at any one person) the deal is, an item is brought in one day and collected - framed - another day. This way you (see previous disclaimer) haven't actually framed anything.
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

Post by absolute framing »

Thanks for your observations Robo

Was just trying to help with a solution we used in the past, obviously not suitable for all framers to use.

I used this method to frame a large propellor from a racing boat for a client.
The client organised the fitting of the propellor to the wall after I came up with that particular solution.
As for keeping out dust, we lined the frame with some felt.

anyways, this may not be for everyone but I like to give clients soloutions - I would define it as a framing solution, others may disagree.

I do notice that everytime I provide some feedback here on the forum, some other contributors feel the need to point out problems and point out that their methods are better and generally put down my contributions.
I would hope that were all open to different ideas and techniques.
Unfortunatly this does make me feel "why bother posting"
Stephen Strahan
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

absolute framing wrote:As for keeping out dust, we lined the frame with some felt.
I'm not sure what that means or how it would work compared to a normally sealed frame and anyway, it wasn't mentioned previous.
absolute framing wrote:I do notice that everytime I provide some feedback here on the forum, some other contributors feel the need to point out problems and point out that their methods are better and generally put down my contributions.
Tell me about it! Not only do some of my suggestions get put down - or sniped at, but I do personally as well; you don't have to look far, and I'm seriously thinking about legging it from here altogether as many others seem to have for lesser reasons or even no apparent reasons at all. I can take constructive criticism of methods etc and I hope that any criticism of methods I give is just about the physics of things; not the person* - my 'disclaimers' above were not just tongue-in-cheek.

*Just don't look too far back through my posts though :oops:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Roboframer wrote:
Tell me about it! Not only do some of my suggestions get put down - or sniped at, but I do personally as well;
Well practice what you preach then !!!
absolute framing wrote:I do notice that everytime I provide some feedback here on the forum, some other contributors feel the need to point out problems and point out that their methods are better and generally put down my contributions.
I would hope that were all open to different ideas and techniques.
Unfortunatly this does make me feel "why bother posting"
I agree, we all have different ways of doing things to fit in with our own needs and more importantly the needs of our own customer. I have no problem with someone suggesting a conservation solution to a problem. What I do have a problem is suggestions being put down because I did not suggest a conservation solution. As I have said before I am fully capable of producing a conservation standard frame when I am called upon to do so its just its not always appropriate.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Would someone please explain why it is that, on a forum, whenever there is a difference of opinion, the protagonists always (so generously) make space within their own posts in order that the views of their opponents may be displayed?

Note to administrator:
Look into ways of limiting the quoted content to 20% (or should that be less?) of a post.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Note to administrator:
Look into ways of limiting the quoted content to 20% (or should that be less?) of a post.
^^^ Not exactly on topic is it? :lol:

Please dont ban me again John :lipssealed: :fixit:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

To answer your question John, (apart from the fact that they can) in order to show what they are referring to - it doesn't need a quote here because your question is just two posts above this - but if this post turned out to be the first one of a new page, a quote may have been useful.

Sometimes people think they are being personally singled out when quoted (in fact sometimes they are ^^^^^!)

If A.N Other framer stated they'd stick something down with neat tree sap and a few posts later someone else said that adhesive, especially really nasty stuff, wasn't a good idea, there probably wouldn't be a problem but if it went like this ...
A.N. Other Member wrote:I'd stick the sucker down with neat tree sap
Well, I think that's not the best advice, because ................... and I think ..................... would be a better idea, because ....................

It might be a whole lot different.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Don't leave us Robo...........the forum would be a much lesser place without your postings. The tip you gave me on drymounting the second mount under the ater damaged upper mount was a gem. It really worked well. Customer hasn't seen it yet as he is still "abroad" Not sure if that's "inside"

PS: like the new logo
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Hope you took a deposit!

I'm just not going to do the forum at work anymore unless I need help/advice. I've only had internet access there for a few months anyway - I logged out and removed it from my favourites on the workshop PC today.

The other day ...... I was reading a topic and I called my framer over for his thoughts (which were unprintable - do a you tube search for Eric and Clive 'This bloke came up to me'*)and before I knew it we were on You Tube, the Grumble, Facebook .... and then the wife walked in and we scurried back to work like two schoolkids caught smoking behind the bike sheds - bloody internet! Never needed it before and can't handle it now it's got thrown in with the broadband deal.

* I'll save you the search - DEFINITELY NSFW - or even suitable at all, but for me this is as funny as it gets - and as for my framer ... well, I don't think I'll play it in the workshop again until I can provide oxygen!