posters to be hung on a pitch ceiling

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
michelle
Organisation: Blackcab Studio
Interests: Driving my 1965 Bedford Dormobile.

posters to be hung on a pitch ceiling

Post by michelle »

Help needed if you have time please.
I have someone who wants some ( 4 at the moment) old, and sentimental posters framing, not a problem other than the fact that they need to be framed in a way that means the process can be reversed if needed.They are also to be hung on a Pitch ceiling so have the potential of being hung at an angle. Any ideas how to frame them keeping away from the glass etc without being mounted and not bowing in the middle when hung upside down. There is little play at the edges due to signatures etc. If I get this right there could be 20 odd more coming my way.
Any Help or ideas greatly received
Many thanks Michelle
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Hi Michelle

Have you ever heard of the saying:

Pick any 2:
price - quality - speediness

That is what your client is asking for -- a compromise somewhere....

In order to counteract gravity - the art will have to be mounted to the backing board. In order to be conservation - the art should not be permanently mounted to the backing board.
Your client will have to make the decision.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

I'd weigh up whether you are better having the posters against the glass, or onto a backing board.
considering they are up on a pitched roof, rather than on a wall, you probably have no issues like damp to worry about.
If they were my own posters, I would prefer them not mounted on a backing board, and could live with them being in contact with the glass.

You also want to consider if that glass gets broke, its probably going to drop in big spikes on the person that broke it. So have you considered plastic glazing? You might want 3mm plastic, or that will sag as well... specialy in the summer if the room is not well ventilated and it gets hot up there. (voice of experience there, my sons have the two attic rooms in our house, and having done the same sort of jobs for their pitched roof posters, we found that a light enough frame will velcro very nicely to a pitched surface :) )
osgood

Post by osgood »

Michelle,
Bainbridge make a dry mount backing that is totally reversible which I can't remember the name of. I haven't tried it as I don't have a hot press, but it might be the answer and you could go without glass or just use acrylic.
I am assuming that these "sentimental" posters are valuable to the person and that's why you don't want to mount them.

Some customers just assume that we framer are magicians and most of are not so we have to do the best we can and advise and educate the customer.

I am quite sure that there are plenty of times when we apply preservation techniques and materials to jobs where it is not necessarily required and we do need to appraise the worth of things carefully.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

osgood wrote:Michelle,
Bainbridge make a dry mount backing that is totally reversible which I can't remember the name of.
It's artcare restore and I love it - all I use for dry mounting - not sure if it's the solution here though and I'd definitely not use this as a first attempt at it, there's still the usual horrors that can happen like something finding its way between the poster and the board - temperature too high, time too long etc. Things that can't be reversed!

If the paper is a decent weight, the mount covers the edges by a decent amount (maybe not possible at the bottom in your case, where they are signed, but what about the other 3 sides?) and there is plenty of spacing within a frame with a generous rebate, I'd try 'T' hingeing it as normal.

I had a customer once who had me mount & frame 4 large prints, we wrapped them in pairs, back to back. They were to go in his new home and he did not get around to unwrapping and hanging them for 3 years!!!

He had them stored laying flat, so 2 of them were face down - they were fine - I know 'cause I hung them - his wife was p...... off with him saying "I'll do it tomorrow!"

Yours, not being horizontal, may fare even better - just depends on weight of paper etc etc etc.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

I've just used Herma repositional dots to hold some artwork to the backing. I don't know how reversable they are if left for any amount of time but they do seem to come away from the artwork with a light rub leaving no residue.

Lion now sell them in sheets as well as tape.

Has anyone any experience of their long-term effects?
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
michelle

Post by michelle »

Thanks every one for taking the time, you have given me a lot of food for thought and plenty to share with my customer. It does my confidence the world of good to know that it is actually a tricky one with no set answres and not just my lack of experience ( relativly new framer compared to you lot), it is good to know your all out there willing to share.
"You also want to consider if that glass gets broke, its probably going to drop in big spikes on the person that broke it. So have you considered plastic glazing?"
I thought this would be pretty crucial, don't really want to kill anyone before I get established. :lol: Does non- reflective exist, which is the best to use and do you know any good suppliers?

many thanks Michelle
michelle

Post by michelle »

Have just found the answre to my question on another thread about acrylic.I am getting samples etc sent so no need to get back to me on this one, unless you have pearls of wisdom on how to avoid the the pitfalls when using the stuff. ( I'll be getting others to cut it to size)
thanks again
Michelle