cowhide

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Teresa
Organisation: The Frameworks
Interests: good food, good wine, good friends, travel, live music,

cowhide

Post by Teresa »

I've got to frame some cowhide, 400mm wide x 1200 tall + mount. its a budget job so how best to attach it to the backing ? can I pva it to mdf or foam core,
prospero

Re: cowhide

Post by prospero »

Don't see why PVA wouldn't work. Never tried it. :?
You would need to keep the whole thing under pressure while the glue sets. A foam blanket - big thick board - lots of heavy stuff on top.

Another way that occurs is to cover the mounting board with strips of heavy-duty carpet tape, leaving the release paper on the top side. Position the hide and lift one end so that you can peel the first strip. Smooth the hide down on the sticky bit and then peel the other strips one at a time, smoothing down as you go. Go over the whole lot with a roller though some thin card or release paper. Or put on the floor and get people to walk/jump up and down/dance on it. :P More expensive than PVA, but less messy.

If you don't need it to lay dead flat and there is still hair on it, I would either stitch it in a few places or even staple it.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Copydex or Morleys JM600 is what I would use great on leather also will peel off if necessary. But as with any glue try a tester first.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Cow Gum hasn't been made for about 10 yrs now because of EU regulations regarding its manufacture, however I believe there is/was a european alternative :giggle: :giggle:
prospero

Post by prospero »

I used to mount prints with Cow Gum. It was horrible stuff. :roll:

Not as bad as Copydex though...... :giggle:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

At least copydex comes of you hands easily and mount board for that matter, but probably highly toxic, acidic and would probably eat glazed tiles as well. :giggle: :giggle:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Not bothered about that. It's just that the pong is indescribable. :worried:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I love it :giggle:

Actually you can't get copydex in anything other than hobby quantities, they stopped producing 5l so I now use F BALL - Styccobond F1 just ordered 20l of it, should keep me going for a while.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Cow gum was my attempt at being funny! Sorry, it wasn't a serious suggestion.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Teresa
Organisation: The Frameworks
Interests: good food, good wine, good friends, travel, live music,

Post by Teresa »

just spoke to a upholester in the pub ( thats why I cant spell ) he said bast glue for cowhide is carprt glue, spray hide and mdf, wait untill almost dry put together and it will stick like _ _ _ _ apperantly pva wont last. so now we know ! :D
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

That sounds like the stuff Teresa :D

If it was not a budget job, it could look good stretched out in a frame, (like you see in westerns) with thick enough string threaded through the edges of the hide, these then go through holes drilled in a simple batten frame and are tied off or stapled. Glass goes on top of the batten frame (like a fillet) and then the outer frame goes around. Behind the hide you would just have mountboard and a backing.