Exterior hanging sign for customer

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Trigger
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: .... there's more to life than just picture framing.

Exterior hanging sign for customer

Post by Trigger »

Morning all

Had a customer in yesterday with a sign (about 16" x 12") that they have had printed on to dibond. It is a double sided sign and they need it to hang from a framework which is already attached to the outside of their building.

They have chosen a 70mm wide flat obeche moulding with a detail bead near the sight edge (Arqadia 166 400 000) which we are then painting in a colour to match their sign. Using a different moulding or wood isn't an option with them.

Frame also has to be double sided.

So I have thoughts on how to weather proof the whole thing and put it together but any ideas, hints or tips would be appreciated. Obviously the printed bit is weather proof, it is just the frame that will need protecting.

Thanks
Alec Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

"Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!" - Life of Brian
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Re: Exterior hanging sign for customer

Post by Ricky »

I think I'd probably use a few decent coats of Yacht varnish
prospero

Post by prospero »

I made my sign 17 years ago. It's painted on marine ply, but I put a frame around it (Simons M99b Ramin unless I am mistaken). Stained it walnuty colour and gave the whole thing about 8 coats of yacht varnish. Never touched it since. :? It doesn't look exactly pristine nowadys and there is a bit of green stuff growing on the top, but that's just character.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Thanks for that - confirmed what I thought. Yacht varnish it is then.
Alec Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

"Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!" - Life of Brian
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Not an easy decision! I've not heard of using obeche for external use before, I don't know how durable obeche is likely to be for external use. Hopefully someone can tell us!

The only frames I've ever produced for external use, were either ash, or oak. The oak frame was outside a local resaurant, but has been replaced with a very expensive looking, fully weather proof stainless steel frame with a built in light.

The ash frame is still in use, a few doors away from my shop. Last time I looked it was still looking o.k.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I once had a very nice frame that had to be replaced because of woodworm. It was obeche, handfinished with water-gilded sections. Shame. :(
I stuck it outside in the garden. Couple of years later I found it (in the undergrowth). All the gesso had dropped off. I noticed that the wormholes were only in two rails. It was such a nice profile that broke off the wormy bits and there was just enough in the two good sides to make a 10x8. I did and I gave it a soaking in herbicide to kill the moss off. Repainted it and it looked very good. I saw the said frame again last week and it still looked good. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Make sure you use exterior wood glue as well, I would also use silicon on the rebate where the sign comes into contact with the frame.

Belt & Bracers Steve
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I would be particularly concerned not to hang the frame on screw eyes fitted into the top of the frame as this may cause difficulties in producing a reliable weatherproof seal in the varnish where the screw eyes enter the wood.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Very good point Mark

Steve
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Thanks for all the helpful responses. All comments have been taken on board. Now all we have to do is make it.
Alec Palmer GCF(APF) Adv