Underpinners? MINIGRAF A2M-200 Foot Operated Underpinner

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Julia
Organisation: Bexley
Interests: Quality framing and being creative

Underpinners? MINIGRAF A2M-200 Foot Operated Underpinner

Post by Julia »

Hello,
I'm just setting up a framing business and am wondering whether anyone has had any experience with the new MINIGRAF A2M-200 Foot Operated Underpinner, or should I stick with a Cassesse CS-88?
Any advice appreciated.
Many thanks,
Julia
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Underpinners? MINIGRAF A2M-200 Foot Operated Underpinner

Post by Not your average framer »

I can't speak about the A2M-200 as I've never used one, but as a CS-88 user I can tell you that the CS-88 is both reliable and virtually unbreakable.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Re: Underpinners? MINIGRAF A2M-200 Foot Operated Underpinner

Post by kuduframes »

Hi
I used the CS88 when I first started framing a few years ago and disposed of it only as part of a relocation from overseas. I now have an Alpha A2M-200 which I've been using for the last 15 months.
If you are new to framing I think you may find the A2M-200 a little more user friendly.
Be aware that it does not have a rebate clamp (I have not found this to be a disadvantage) and moderate hand pressure should ensure a clean join provided the mitre is good to start with.
The adjustable fences on the CS88 seemed to cause problems, no such issue with the Alpha as there is no adjustment, they are square.
I have the Alpha moulding support wings but despite adjustment they never seem to hold their level very well but this does not pose too much of an issue as it is the corner diagonally opposite the underpinner which needs support particularly for bigger mouldings and longer frames.
Overall, for the money I think the Alpha is a good starter.