Stretching

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Stretching

Post by Ricky »

I do quite a few Xstitches,Tapestries, Needlework, ect, ect. normaly stretched on to 3mm foamboard
but I've never really found a suitable thread I like to use for stretching, What do you use?
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Re: Stretching

Post by YPF »

I use crochet thread of varying thicknesses depending on the item to be laced (don't like to use the word stretch with needlework).
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I use crochet cotton too, or cotton perlé - No 5 and No 8 mainly, but not foam board, it's too brittle and also takes up more rebate space and more material to make it flush.

I just use mount board (artcare of course - insert angelic smiley here .......) or on larger things, two pieces bonded together.

Nothing wrong with the word 'stretching' for needlework - you're pulling it taut.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I use mercerised cotton thread available from John Lewis over conservation mount board.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

What sort - normal thickness stuff like what you'd hem trousers with?
prospero

Post by prospero »

I use the thinnest nylon cord for "Tapestries", (the woolly things on coarse brown canvasy stuff).

*I hate lacing. I get persistently knotted. :nerd:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well if your thread is not thin and you don't pull too much off the reel/ball at a time, you won't get too many knots/tangles.

I use knitting cotton, craft cotton or dishcloth cotton for 'tapestries' (needlepoints) on canvas because it fits snugly through the holes, as do the threads I mentioned above for most cross stitches, one of the reasons being that the tension is not relaxed if you let go at any time. If you use a thin thread that slides easily through the holes, then you have to keep the tension all the way, plus a too-thin thread, like normal sewing cotton, is too 'sharp' and if the fabric is something like linen, it will rip right through it with ease.

I'm spoilt, we sell every type of thread you can think of, but the way I chose my favourites, apart from quality and thickness, was to pull a long length off a ball, double it, let it dangle and see how badly it twisted or not.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

and then wait for the missus to smack you in the head for messing up the balls, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: