Chinese Paper Art - suggestions

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Chinese Paper Art - suggestions

Post by birdman »

We have had a customer come in today with this circular piece of chinese paper art. It is very delicate and of course she wants it mounted as a float mount. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about it. Of course she doesn't want to spend a fortune on it but I don't want to glue it down on the board, which is what she asked us to do initially.
Chinese-paper-art.jpg
Chinese-paper-art.jpg (186.1 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
I was thinking of trying to mount it on a circular piece of mountboard and then sticking it to the undermount. It is how to attach it to the circular piece that will be the challenge.

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
stcstc

Re: Chinese Paper Art - suggestions

Post by stcstc »

would it look wrong with a circular piece of melinex over it, with legs that go round the back to hold in place?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I've done a few of these, I encapsulate them between 2 sheets of Melinex.

It's not easy to get double sided tape to go in a circle though, so the rules have to be broken slightly as that tape will not always be between 3 and 5mm away from the artwork.

It doesn't matter though (as long as it's no closer than 3mm) because these things are so flimsy, the static alone does the job.

Slightly scary positioning it in the centre of a ring of adhesive though :sweating:

So make sure you use double sided tape NOT ATG TAPE and leave the release paper on until the artwork is in the centre of the tape ring - easy peasy and no adhesive touches the artwork at all unless there is a sudden draught at just the wrong time!
birdman

Post by birdman »

Thanks both.

I quite like the idea proposed by Stephen but it would be tricky to cut tidily. Has anyone successfully tried cutting melinex on the CMC?

I think though that Robo's suggestion has merit and I may try that on Monday unless anyone else has any different ideas.

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i cut some recently

having been shown by robo in a thread

trick is to put a sacrifical board over the top of the mylar sheet and cut through it, it worked a treat for some spyder things i cut the other day

mind i did use the straight cut option on my gunnar, dont know what it would be like with a bevel cut though

if your stuck i have a couple of rolls of the stuff too so could post some up to you

s
birdman

Post by birdman »

What we did in the end was cut a melinex spider slightly larger than the paper art, because it wasn't a true circle. We had a piece of conservation backing board over the melinex whilst cutting and we then used that underneath the art, having trimmed off the legs. The melinex was then taped to the board using a ph neutral white tape. The finished circle was then glued to the mountboard providing a very shallow float mount.

The customer loved it and it gave us a bit of a challenge trying to work out how to do it. Sorry I forgot to photograph the finished frame.

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
My status