PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

On Approval

Post by John »

I was speaking to a framer recently who often lets customers take her gallery pictures home to see how they would look in their own environment.

She never takes a deposit, and in the three years since she started this practice, has never been 'stung'. Only once has a customer returned an item, and that was to exchange for something more suitable.

She believes that it is a great sales technique, and now I'm wondering how many sales we could have closed by doing the same. :?:
kj

Post by kj »

we always encourage people to take home paintings ,especially large abstracts , for trial . we take a credit card number ,phone number and address ,and if the customer decides to buy ,we just do a "customer not present sale " and post their receipt and card counterfoil to them . Also we would encourage they take more than one item with them ,"for comparison ". this often leads to a second , or even third , sale. never stung in 5 years
keith
markw

Post by markw »

I do the same as KJ - Have to say though that I don't advertise the fact that I allow pictures out on approval and I only offer to people who I know are not sure if they want to buy or not. generally these are the ones who have spent ages looking - they keep coming back and obviously want the pic - just cant make their minds up. The only awkward one I 'v had is where a customer damaged a frame on a returned pic.
ross

Post by ross »

Your lucky to have customers still taking an interest in framed images on the wall!!

I thought they were a dying breed

Actually have never been placed in this situation - had I not read these posts don't know if I would have comtemplated letting any framed unit go out on consignment.

Thanks for the advice - will now be prepared if asked in future

Ross
Framer Dave

Post by Framer Dave »

I've done the same quite a few times. If you can get the artwork in the home it's a far easier, due partly due to lazyness. Some people just don't want to drag it back to the store.

One word of advice though: Make it a policy that artwork cannot be taken out on approval over the weekend. Too many people "borrow" it over the weekend for their big party and then bring it back Monday morning.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

markw wrote:The only awkward one I 'v had is where a customer damaged a frame on a returned pic.
So how was this resolved Mark? Did you just grin and bear it?
markw

Post by markw »

John - I suppose its a risk you take - customers are told that the picture has to be returned undamaged - I wonder how many buy the picture having damaged the frame?

In my experience very few customers really appreciate just how easy it is to damage a frame.