Cassese 88 Underpinner

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Mitre&Pin
Organisation: Home
Interests: Painting/Art

Cassese 88 Underpinner

Post by Mitre&Pin »

I have a Cassesse Underpinner and am having problems with bigger frames in that the machine isn't against a workbench and the moulding is wobbly when I pin it.

I looked at these:
http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/MOULDI ... 517,0.aspx

but wondered if getting 2 of these would do the trick or not?

Any ideas?
Graysalchemy

Re: Cassese 88 Underpinner

Post by Graysalchemy »

You need to support the frame with a bench or a table the same height as the bed of the underpinner, if not you will have the problems you are en counting. Those support stands from lion are for supporting moulding when you cut with a morso or saw. You need to support all sides of the frame especially important when you are joining the two halve together, so in actual fact you need three points of contact plus the pinner so really a table. I have one made out of a piece of 4 x4' 18mm mdf on a simple frame. One corner is cut across so that the underpinner fits snugly into it.

Alistair
prospero

Post by prospero »

The simplest way is to temp place the machine facing a flat surface and use some wooden blocks of the right hight to support the corners of the frame.

Or get hold of one of these:

You can remove the stops and lay the bar horizontally. Also folds up when not needed.
I use one on big frames to support the diagonally opposite corner to the one I am pinning. Although my pinner works from the front and has (home-made) support arms. It may work OK if you stand it in the right place.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Mitre&Pin
Organisation: Home
Interests: Painting/Art

Post by Mitre&Pin »

Thanks for your posts, I will look into a table as I think that really this is the best bet long term!
prospero

Post by prospero »

:idea:

What would be good is a drop-leaf table. One of those that has a narrow top and big leafs. Add a bit to the legs so you bring it up level with the pinner bed. Then you have handy horizontal surface that can be folded away when not in use.

Have a trawl round any local s/h furniture/junk shops. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About