Hi All
Customer last week brought in a canvas with a hole in it. They wanted to know wether it could be repaired or not. Or if it is worth repairing.
How can you tell if a canvas is a original and would it be worth repairing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ken
i do have a picture but unsure how to upload it[/img][/url]
Canvas copy or original
-
foxyframer
- Posts: 313
- Joined: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 6:46 pm
- Location: Netley Marsh New Forest Hampshire
- Organisation: Hampshire Framing
- Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.
- Location: NEW FOREST HAMPSHIRE
-
markw
I just happen to have a copy and original in front of me - and without a strong magnifying glass I cant tell the difference. With a good glass you can see that some colours are made up by applying lots of small amounts of red, yellow, blue and black pigment (Cyan Magenta Yellow Black) - mid greys are the best place to look.
The printing method used on canvas literally sprays micro particles of pigment onto the canvas - you really only stand a chance of seeing the evidence of spray at the very light end of the spray pattern as the pigments tend to merge when applied at higher levels. If you add to this that the canvas can be textured and finished in such a way to make it as close as possible to the original - then spotting the copy by the untrained eye can be difficult.
I had an artist in last week looking at a very nice original canvas. This chap paints on canvas for a living and I was surprised when he said "nice copy", "its an original" I said. Well, the ensuing discussion just emphasised how difficult it is to tell a very flat painted original from a copy - even with a glass I couldn't persuade him.
The printing method used on canvas literally sprays micro particles of pigment onto the canvas - you really only stand a chance of seeing the evidence of spray at the very light end of the spray pattern as the pigments tend to merge when applied at higher levels. If you add to this that the canvas can be textured and finished in such a way to make it as close as possible to the original - then spotting the copy by the untrained eye can be difficult.
I had an artist in last week looking at a very nice original canvas. This chap paints on canvas for a living and I was surprised when he said "nice copy", "its an original" I said. Well, the ensuing discussion just emphasised how difficult it is to tell a very flat painted original from a copy - even with a glass I couldn't persuade him.
-
Roboframer
