Wax removal

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
CalicoFraming
Organisation: Calico Framing
Interests: Picture framing, fine art

Wax removal

Post by CalicoFraming »

Have made a mess of a frame and desperately need some advice...

I have a flat matt white frame, a few inches wide, and have managed to leave a shiny patch where I used white retouch cream to touch up a corner and wiped of the excess with a rag. :oops: :head: :oops: :head:

is there any way I can salvage this? Perhaps I should just give the whole thing a going over with some wire wool and paint the bloomin' thing?

Thanks
Calico
Graysalchemy

Re: Wax removal

Post by Graysalchemy »

have you tried lighter fluid that will clean off any remaining wax, but if it is the paint layer which has buffed you will have no chance, bar buffing up the whole frame.
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

will have to try it - nothing to lose at this stage. and if it comes to buffing the whole frame, i'll try that too - my only saving grace is that the customer, a French banker, wasn't interested in my proposals for the piece - just said "mek eet beeutifool" - so if I present a shiny white frame, it may be ok.

:wink:
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

maybe a little gental heat from a hairdryer to soften it may work.... not in conjunction with lighter fluid though... :Slap:
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

au contraire - lighter fluid plus heat might be the only viable way forward for this disaster! :Slap:
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

no, but seriously folks, what should I have done to avoid this problem - I've got a matt white frame which needs touching up, was white retouch cream the way to do? a different product? a different method?

thanks
Calico
prospero

Post by prospero »

Same with all 'matt' mouldings. Once you polish it, you can't un-polish it back to the original surface. This makes filling any gaps in the corners a no-no. The only way is to not have a gap. :?

Not very helpful I know. Put that moulding on the PITA list. :cry:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

CalicoFraming wrote:no, but seriously folks, what should I have done to avoid this problem - I've got a matt white frame which needs touching up, was white retouch cream the way to do? a different product? a different method?

thanks
Calico
Choose your white mouldings very carefully as they always show the joins more than any colour.
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

thanks guys, brutal advice, but invaluable

think I'm going to get a bare wood profile and paint it myself - any advice on achieving a nice finish?
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

For white, I like to use white acrylic paint, and then finish with liming wax. Sometimes I use 2 slightly different off white paints, and create a bit of texture, showing a bit of each colour, and then liming wax. This way little marks, finger-marks etc are less conspicuous.

Of course that is going to be a little shiny . . . . .
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Jo the gilder
Organisation: JJ frames
Interests: Antiques gilding conservator frame designs

Post by Jo the gilder »

Acetone is the best for removing wax but could remove the paint but will leave it clean enough to be re painted! I fined that thin shellac and pigment is the best for touching up you can control the shine by thinning the shellac if you want it really Matt and a little calcium carbonate this works really well!

Joanne
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Acetone is a very strong solvent. It will certainly remove the wax, but it won't take long to remove the paint either!

It might be a good idea to dilute the acetone which a less agressive solvent. that way you can control the effect according to the ratio of the two solvents.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

Thanks for the advice re. acetone. In fact, I rang Liberon who weren't sure but suggested white spirit, and not only has it removed the excess wax, it's returned it to a matt finish as well! :rock:

Still planning to paint the whole thing though. My source of this whole problem in the first place was the thick layer of gesso chipping away at the mere mention of a Morso blade, so I'm going to sand down the rough edges, fill with wood filler, then overpaint the lot. Tried a sample using water-based undercoat and the finish is fantastic - near as damn it perfectly even and totally matt. In light of all this have also promised myself that hand finishing is a skill I have to pick up - it seems so much less hassle to be able to cut and join, repair if necessary, then finish afterwards, and even just putting a coat of paint on felt so much more satisfying than dealing with the manufactured gesso coating.

Just one question - what's a good way to protect a painted finish - I know I can use wax, but was also wondering about varnishes, etc. Any suggestions?

thanks so much
Calico
Gesso&Bole
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

The problem you will have David, is that if the frame is how you want it now, any finish you put on will change the look.

My personal preference is for wax, because I find it difficult to get the finish I want with varnish or acrylic. The Renaissance wax in particular is a favourite.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

Thanks Jim, will give it a go.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I you use acrylic paint, you don't really need to varnish it for protection. It is quite tough. Acrylic varnish is basically clear paint, so it will add a bit of gloss to the finish but a wax polish is really all that's needed.

Mouldings with a overall flat colour are a pain. Any slight flaw will stick out like a sore thumb and are next to impossible to touch up successfully.
Hand-finishing the same finishes also has the same problems. Try painting a frame flat white. :o You need coats and coats to get a satisfactory result. But at least you can fix dings and scrapes perfectly.
Spraying is a better option for flat colours. If you have the kit and the space. :P

Speaking of which..... There are some cheapo mouldings that make an excellent base for cellulose (car) paints. No heavy prep - just de-grease the surface and put on a couple of light coats. I used loads of the good ol' black cushion like this at one time. The solvent etches into the surface and gives a very good bond. The metallic finishes look very classy. Doesn't work on all mouldings though. Try and see is the key.
The beauty is, you can cut and join the frame before spraying. It matters not if big chunks get chipped off the corners - make good with filler and sand down and after spraying for perfect corners. This would probably take less time than arsing about touching up corners on a pre-finished moulding.
If the frame gets a scrape ( the finish is surprisingly durable) then it can be resprayed. :) Maybe not worth it on a little frame, but on a big one it could save ££££s

Not everybody's cup of tea. If you were doing a lot of frames a dedicated spray area would be needed. Overspray gets everywhere. Spray cans are OK for doing a few frames now and then, but ideally you need to source the paint in tins from an auto paint supplier and get a spraygun. (and compressor - although most framers probably have one and if you haven't you don't need a big one).
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Gesso&Bole

Post by Gesso&Bole »

All this talk of spray cans, reminds me of a visit to a framer in Bangkok last year
This is his main workshop area
This is his main workshop area
Thai framer 1.jpg (40.1 KiB) Viewed 8064 times
Notice all of the spray cans
Notice all of the spray cans
Thai framer 2.jpg (40.85 KiB) Viewed 8064 times
As you can see from the workshop, they use a lot of spray paint. What amazes me is how they get anything done on that workbench! And the plant in the middle . . . . . . . ? Don't ask!
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

CalicoFraming wrote:it's returned it to a matt finish as well!
Mmm, that sounds like something useful to know!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

Thanks Prospero, great information

:D
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Gesso&Bole wrote:All this talk of spray cans, reminds me of a visit to a framer in Bangkok last year
Thai framer 1.jpg
Thai framer 2.jpg
As you can see from the workshop, they use a lot of spray paint. What amazes me is how they get anything done on that workbench! And the plant in the middle . . . . . . . ? Don't ask!
That looks familiar :giggle: :giggle:

Actually that is tidier than mine.