Excalibur glass wheels

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
prospero

Excalibur glass wheels

Post by prospero »

I was going to get a new glass wheel for the Excalibur from Lion. There are three types listed: metal - black -white.

Anyone know what the difference is?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Re: Excalibur glass wheels

Post by David »

The 5000 model uses a cutting wheel that is held in a bit of folded metal, my old 4000 had the cutting wheel moulded into a piece of white plastic, don't know which one the black one is for.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I expect Keencut would tell you if you gave them the serial number of your machine.

With the 4000 there was a Mk 1 & Mk 2 version, one took the white wheel, one took the black. Can't remember which way round it is. The colour refers to the housing containing the wheel.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thanks. That would explain it. I think I want the metal one. :)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
BigBazza
Organisation: Frame by Frame
Interests: Allsorts!

Post by BigBazza »

If you've got a '5000' series machine, you're after the 'metal' one for sure - you don't get the whole mounting block assembly - just the tiny little cutting wheel on it's equally tiny triangular metal carrier.

To replace it, simply remove the metal carrier block from your cutting head - a single small allan bolt/pin (3mm or 4mm head size if I remember right) holds it in - but be very careful when you remove it as there is a small spring behind it which will pop out and disappear over your shoulder in a blink of the eye if you're not!

Once you have removed the 'block', it's an easy enough process to prize out the old cutter wheel and press in the new one, before reversing the process to refit it.