Foamboard

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
guzzijim
Organisation: Dumfries & Galloway
Interests: Photography, Colour Management, Sea Fishing

Foamboard

Post by guzzijim »

I'm looking for 5mm Foamboard that I can use heat with.
I've an old heatpress and a roll of adhesive film which I use for bonding photographs to mountboard sometimes.
I want to do the same heat process with and easily cut 5mm thick board, the only thing I can think of is Foamboard.

I know there is 5mm self-adhesive Foamboard but am unsure how permanent this is.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Foamboard

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Foam board is OK but it does tend to compress a bit so 5mm might become 4mm 'ish. It compresses more at the edges or at least it does in a vacuum press so you need to cut oversize and trim back.

Recently I have been using black foam board which seems denser and more rigid than the white stuff.

Would be worth experimenting before putting a customers work in the press.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Some foamboards will have different densities to others. I'm not sure how much difference, using a higher density board will make to how much it will compress in a heated press, but I use Foamlite because it's denser than most and the price is still good.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Zolf
Organisation: Bexley's of Woodend
Interests: teaching my daughter Hungarian, experimenting with recycled timber, tree branches and other materials, woodworking, building stuff, drinking wine

Post by Zolf »

I use a lot of self adhesive foam board. Permanent ones are pretty bloody permanent, you make one mistake and you'll know it, you won't be able to peel your stuff off. Keep it really clean, peel and stick, peel and stick. Especially with shiny surfaces, you can't afford to get any dust between the board and the print, it will stick out like dogs' bollocks.
Bexley's of Woodend
tiny picture framing shop in a tiny town
www.bexleysofwoodend.com