PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Hanging advice please.

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi,
I've never thought too deeply about what hangers to use, generally it's single/ double rings or 4 hole plates when I'm doing something a bit biger, like football shirts.
Occassionally I might use sawtooth hangers but was wondering what I might use in this example, the frame size is approx. 15 x 50cm and it's to hang in kiddies bedroom. As you can see, I tried cord but because of the width, the single hook would probably be on show. I then thought about using a sawtooth but thought that one in the middle might make it a bit 'wobbly'. Then I wondered how practical putting 2 sawtooth hangers on the back would be ? I thought there's be an issue with allignment.... any tips please ?
hanging.JPG
hanging.JPG (170.94 KiB) Viewed 7986 times
Does anyone regularly use these Lion CWH hangers on larger frames, was wondering what you think of them from a hanging perspective ?
http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/CWH1-H ... 481,0.aspx
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Hanging advice please.

Post by Steve N »

I would use D-rings and cord ( riveted in the backing board on thin mouldings) and put a "hang by two hooks" sticker on the back and mark the backing where the hooks need to be (about where you have the saw tooth hangers), also I would make sure I would tell the customer about this. With this method the customer does not have to make sure the hangers are level, as once they have put the cord over the hangers and they just adjust it until it is level, and it will stay that way. With saw tooth hangers , the customer will have to make sure they put the hangers in the wall level :Slap: , or I should say, pins or nails as picture hooks will show above the frame, another good reason to use the D-rings and cord method. :rock:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Sawtooth hangers are designed to fit on a nail. Not as much purchase as a hook. I've known them leap off a wall when someone has slammed a door or a low-flying aircraft goes over. For this reason I wouldn't advise them on anything larger than a 8x6" frame. :?

Kiddies bedroom? Not a good idea.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

Lion CWH hangars are your solution for a frame like this, one either side about 2 inches below top edge of the frame and then bumpers or plastic domes on the bottom corners. Frame should sit nice and flat against the wall.
Slotted holes also help with alignment if hooks are not accurately put into the wall.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Tie your cord a bit tighter :D , and as already said, advise they hang on 2 hooks roughly 300mm apart(wider if the frame is bigger/longer)
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

kuduframes wrote
"Lion CWH hangars are your solution for a frame like this, one either side about 2 inches below top edge of the frame and then bumpers or plastic domes on the bottom corners. Frame should sit nice and flat against the wall.
Slotted holes also help with alignment if hooks are not accurately put into the wall."

They are much the same as saw tooth hangers-
prospero wrote
" I've known them leap off a wall when someone has slammed a door or a low-flying aircraft goes over. For this reason I wouldn't advise them on anything larger than a 8x6" frame."

Totally agree

Also they will not work if there is not much room between the backing and the frame and again you are relying on whoever hangs the picture to get the nails exactly level

Still not got a QUOTE button :head: :head:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

I'm in the process of doing a frame for a childrens bedroom, and am recommending two mirror plate type fixings so that the frame is twice screwed to the wall to avoid the situation where it might fall off (flying teddy?)
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Fletcher Perfect Picture (wireless hanging system) lion do them. http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/F-T-Pi ... ,1787.aspx

I think they are very good, but hard to sell to customers without the video. in bulk packs they come out about £1 a set. I'm well pleased with them.

video is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okqaWhY0BV4
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

I'm going to get a pack Kev, if only to overcome my sceptisism regarding the types of wall finish you could get a mark with - best to try rather than prejudge. Good video though, simple effective.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

[quote="Steve N"]

They are much the same as saw tooth hangers-
prospero wrote
" I've known them leap off a wall when someone has slammed a door or a low-flying aircraft goes over. For this reason I wouldn't advise them on anything larger than a 8x6" frame."

Totally agree

Also they will not work if there is not much room between the backing and the frame and again you are relying on whoever hangs the picture to get the nails exactly level

Use CWH2 if space is tight. CWH with proper hooks are pretty safe, with a nail I wouldn't trust cord or wire either
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Thanks for the top tips everyone, I ended up ditching the nylon chord and using wire, I like the idea of putting a sticker on the back telling the customer to use 2 hooks, good call.

Thanks,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )