Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
impressive19
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Framing, Bees and Football

Oak Frames

Post by impressive19 »

I have been asked to do some oak frames, the underpinner (an old Euro) struggles to put the wedges in. I have not really used oak before so I guess there must be another method to join the mitres. Is there an easy way of pinning them, I do have a load of easy clamps so have considered using them to pin and glue...any tips on the precise method?
Dave

Re: Oak Frames

Post by Dave »

Doing it the old fashioned way is fine for one or two, but if you have a lot, it's probably worth talking to another local framer with a pneumatic underpinner and asking a favour?

Dave
impressive19

Post by impressive19 »

Hi Dave, the underpinner I have is a pneumatic Euro but just doesn't seem to have the oomph to insert more than one wedge. The other problem I have with it is it will only take 7mm wedges which has never been an issue on softer frames. There will be quite a large number to do over the next few weeks so I may look locally for a helpful framer with a more powerful underpinner. I assume a decent Cassese machine would have no problem with oak?
Dave

Post by Dave »

I have a cs299 which handles most hard woods fine. I use a harder than normal top clamp bung, set it as close to the top of the frame as I can and use hard wood wedges. Generally though I avoid hard wood frames if i can, as cutting them on the Morso buggers my back up if i do too many.

Dave
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've just re read your last post, are you trying to stack wedges in oak? If so assume you have a high moulding to deal with.

I never go beyond 10mm wedges into oak, 7 is better still, and never stack them. On a high moulding, you may well have to pin the corners, in place of underpinning, or combine both methods. I know some people also use biscuit joints, but I have no experience of these.

Dave
impressive19

Post by impressive19 »

Hi Dave, I think you have answered my question, yes I was trying stacking using a couple of 7mm - your explanation would suggest this is not good practice so what I might try is single wedges a lot of glue and clamping, if that does not work back to the old pins method, long time since I did that!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Oak/Ash is usually a pain even with pneumatic machines. The key is sufficient top pressure and don't drive the wedges close to the back edge. These woods vary in density and grain direction and one time you may be able to stack a couple of wedges no problem, but get a hard bit with growth rings going the wrong way and you can have wedges doing a 90deg turn an emerging from the side.
On deep, narrow mouldings, it's often a good idea to put one shallow wedge in - close to the inside. This serves to hold the joint in lateral alignment. Then wack in a couple of panel pins near the top. A strap clamp helps. All this takes longer, so make sure you charge for it.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
impressive19

Post by impressive19 »

Thanks for the advice, I think I now have an idea how I am now going to do things. Cheers!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Are you a beekeeper, I was in the past and intend to start again soon.

Dave
impressive19

Post by impressive19 »

Hi Dave, yep been keeping bees for a few years now, fascinating hobby and I quite like the by product! Strange year for beekeeping with the weather, good OSR crop then a huge gap but there is honey in the hives now so should be taking off quite a few pounds over the next few weeks. Just had a phone call from a beekeeper who has a lot of bees and hives for sale if you are are interested! :D