Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
traighbum
Organisation: Lindan House, Aird Tong, Isle of Lewis
Interests: Photography, printmaking, sailing, poetry, building half models

Framing/Display of canvas mounted art

Post by traighbum »

What are the options for displaying or framing canvas art?
I am aware of stretched canvas with frame and wedges etc, just wondering if any other options exist.
The paintings in question, are low value items, of approx. 20" x 15" with very little plain border
Pleased to to hear other, more experienced members thoughts
Colin
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Framing/Display of canvas mounted art

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I assume you mean canvas that has not already be stretched on bars.

Stretcher bars are cheap as chips and you only then have to put a frame around the stretched canvas so not a great cost involved if you go for an inexpensive moulding.

To up the spec. a bit a liner between the canvas and the frame will enhance the overall look and again it need not be costly. There are plenty of suitable mouldings available in bare wood which can be given a couple of coats of paint e.g. Everest Ivory
prospero

Post by prospero »

Sticking them to a board with PVA works OK. But it's a toss-up whether it's cheaper to stretch them on bars. Bars are cheap enough (std sizes anyway). I reckon I could stretch one quicker than faffing about with glue. And you have to leave them under pressure for it to work properly. OK for one, but do a quantity and you will need lots of boards and stuff to weight them down with. Release paper - foam blanket.......

Plus, they have more 'perceived importance' on stretcher bars. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I recently stretched a canvas on stretcher bars, then used a canvas box from arqadia to finish it. The canvas box has been finished using a tin supplied by the customer.
I've attached the picture for your perusal...
Attachments
118.jpg
118.jpg (104.56 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Hi, that canvas box idea looks pretty neat, I've seen a few recently and it always catches my eye. What would the best method to attach the wrapped canvas to the moulding? Would recess screws from the back directly though into the stretcher bar be just too crazy??

Thanks guys (1st post from a newbie :) )
prospero

Post by prospero »

Screwing from the back is OK in my book. One screw in the middle of each rail is ample in most cases. On bigger canvases it's a good idea to make an elongated hole in the frame and use a washer on the screw. Don't tighten the screw too much. Allows a bit of 'give'.

One thing to avoid is using screws that are too long. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Cheers, appreciate the reply. I'll just do what you recommend.

BTW - I've spent a few evenings just reading these forums and I'm constantly amazed at the amount of talented & decent people on here who generously offer their time and knowledge to us all. Fantastic place to spend some time :D

Thanks again