Hi and help please?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
joe90bentley

Hi and help please?

Post by joe90bentley »

HI first of all I think this is my first post here,so hello to all!!!
I need some help - I have been framing for a while know and I am stuck on the following.
My wife has started 3d decoupage and wants me to frame here first picture. The picture is 50mm in depth mounted on 10inch by 12 inch with an oval mount. I have used the special moulding to make a box frame that sits inside the rebate etc before ,but, I know it can be done just using mat/mount board.
Can anyone explain how to work it out and make the box??

Many thanks

Joe90

p.s. I hope they way I explained this is easy to understand!!!!
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Joe90,

Welcome to the forum.

A handy way to frame something like this is is to use foamcore. Make a piece 14x16 then cut a line part way through, paralell to each side, and two inches in from each edge. Cut away the four corner pieces, fold each side up and tape it round the outside with gum tape. You are now left with a 2in deep box, or rather a tray, into which you can set your 3-D object.

By the way, a nice demonstration of bi-lingual fluency - the use of imperial and metric in the same sentence. :)
sarah

Post by sarah »

Hey Joe

I just made my first 3D mount a week or so ago following the instructions given by John (Dad to me, so really have to do as he says :? ).

I was a bit nervous about it all because the work I was framing was so delicate and I was worried that the mount wouldn't be deep enough(only using 3 window mounts) but with the foam core between I couldn't have done any better. Oh and it was quite straight forward to do too.

This is the blue peter bit:

I cut a triple mount, using these as a size guide I then cut 8 narrow strips of foamcore, using a little PVA glue to attach the foamcore to the underside of the middle mount and the underside of the top mount I just layered the mounts on top of each other. Hey presto a 3D mount.

Moral of that ramble is if I can do it, having only been framing for three months, anyone can do it.

Hope your wife enjoys the finishd product.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

3D Mounts

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi All,

Good job Sarah. But next time John (dad) asks you to do this, instead of just putting the foam core between the mounts to make the space, try, making the foam core 5mm wider than the actual mount, bevel it, cover it with tape, and paint it, a complementary colour and use it as another feature of the mount. Takes a bit of practice to get the bevel covered correctly without squeeezing the ends of the foamcore, but the results are astounding with the right image or object. Try experimenting with 10mm foamcore and doing the same thing.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
sarah

Post by sarah »

Thanks for the tip.

Finding the whole framing thing interesting and enjoy getting hints and tips, although not very confident yet with anything outside a bog standard window mount.

Thanks again, think this wee forum could be quite useful for a newbie like myself, so keep posting.
SquareFrames
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

I am in total agreement with Sarah, this forum is beginning to take shape, and a great source of knowledge and tips. Hope it continues?

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
joe90bentley

Post by joe90bentley »

Hi and thanks to all for replying

I finished the frame using Frame Box from arqadia. But because the flowers where 50mm in height I had to space it out with a couple of extra mats.

Going by the instructions for foam board etc - how would u then join this to the moulding etc???
When I made the frame up - i put framers points through the frame box and then stapled the framers points to the moulding. Maybe this isnt the right way to do it - but I dont have a gun that fires out the square framers points thingys (lol dont know what they are called!!!)
So any help would be great!!!!

I hope the following links work to a few pics I took of the frame before and after!!!!

So thats it

Again thanks for help so far and looks like I will be hanging about this forum for a long while LOL

Joe90

P.s. please excuse the quality of the pics
SquareFrames

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Joe,

Looks an excellent piece of work. To join the package to the moulding, you were right, I think most framers do it like that, only some would use stainless steel staples. The square framer point thingys as you call them, are Ok, they have a place in a workshop, but if they are the ones I think you are talking about, they also need screws, and are fired by Fletcher's 'YELLOW' gun, yes? Far too much time taken I think, when staples and framers points are good enough and once taped with gummed tape will hold for years.
You could also have used (instaed of extra mounts) extra layers of foam core, or the thick foam core, it comes in 5mm increments, i.e. 5mm, 10mm, and there is a 12mm (1/2 inch) out there somewhere.

My advice to any framer starting out, is to think and imagine how they would like the job finished, experiment with either scrap boards, or those annoying pieces that are left, that are no good to man nor beast, and as long, as in your case, the box was made, and the flowers kept well away from the glass, well protected and preserved, (i.e. the correct materials and boards were used) what way it is placed inside the frame doesnt really matter, as long as you dont want to see it.

For example, yesterday morning, I was putting a frame together into which 10 French Military medals had to be spaced out and small engraved inscriptions in French & English also had to be placed. I made the entire box out of 5mm foam core, lined the bottom and sides with conservation mountboard, attached the medals by stitching them at the rear, cut the double mount, (again using Conservation Board) with a slightly larger than usual title box, and placed a computer generated inage of the French Flag, made the borders so that it entirely covered the edges of the box, placed it inside the frame, and had to build up a 76mm space between the outside edge of the box and the inside of the frame, the whole way round using strips of foam core.
To stop so much wastage of the foam board, I placed strips of 10mm board on its side, (these were 10mm strips, 30mm in height), sort of like rafters in a roof, and then placed a strip of foam core on top of them. The strength was good, to enable me to build up space to allow the MDF backing. It also made the frame lighter than I expected, which was also good for the customer.
What I am getting at is, no matter how you do it, as long as the frame is sound, well put together, the correct materials are used, and in this case, everything is fully reversible, no one ever sees the inside manufacture.

Keep up the exceelnt framing, but above all, enjoy it.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Well done Joe90 - a picture is worth a thousand words!

I usually fix the frame on this type of work with a few blobs of glue from a hot glue gun, then taped over with gum tape to keep the dust out. Be careful not to over-glue, bear in mind that it will probably you who will have to take it apart if the customer manages to break the glass at some time in the future.

Steven, any chance of a photo of those framed medals?
SquareFrames

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi John,

Sorry, my digital camera is working, but cannot load the software, so I never bothered taking any. I was rather disappointed at this, but, I keep droping hints ...she (Sharon-Lee) now has a choice...Laptop or Digital Camera???? Whats the betting I get slippers, or a pack of glossy paper, eh?

When ever Fuji ever get round to sorting this problem out, I have a second carcas made and stored, so can take photos of that.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
joe90bentley

Post by joe90bentley »

To John

I never thought of using hot glue- nice tip - have to remember that one.

To Stephen

Thanks also for the great advice - I have been framing (home -based) for over 2 years now - mainly for friends and family!!!
I also am interested in pics of the frame u made. If its any help - whats the problem with your camera??? is it the software that wont load up - let me know I may be able to help out there!!!! if not epson have a support team that u can chat too online.

Also have u or anyone else had any experience using the frameco shadow box gauge?? It is only 12 quid and sounds like it might be worth buying!!!!
I just bought a frameco matmaster 860b - and it is brilliant!!! and also at the start I was having problems with glass cutting now I use their hand glass cutter that fits on a ruler!!!
I bought it when I was doing the pic framing course at night tec and even the instructor thought it was a good idea

So enough about that

All the best for now

Joe90
SquareFrames

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Joe,

All I can say is ..... if you are going to go into picture framing in a big way, you will need more robust machines, such as Keencut or Fletcher. I would certainly recommend both machines, and teach my students on both and let them make up their own minds as to which they buy, and also the Fletcher 3100 wall cutter, cuts everything, glass, MDF, mounts, foam core and perspex. But that will all come to you as you progress in your framing career.

Back to the Fuji camera, I have tried the Fuji helpline, as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, I had actually come to the point where a plan of being nicer to the wife was being hatched, (less than 7 weeks to Xmas, I could manage being nice for that length of time), and begin to drop HUGE hints, butI live in hope.

If you want any tips, etc. dont be scared to call, only to willing to help.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
joe90bentley

Post by joe90bentley »

Hi stephen

again thanks for info - one question could u clarify what u mean by "more robust" machine. Have u had problems in the past with frameco machines.

please explain more!!!

Regarding your camera - you say that the camera stopped after your installed a new hard drive - one thing is i take it u reinstalled win xp on the new hard drive???
If so did u check in the bios that the serial port is active???
This might be your problem!!! might not -check it out and see
If u need some help give me a shout!!!!
Also it might be worth having a look through
http://www.dcmag.co.uk/
if your thinking of a new camera - I bought a Fuji s5000 a couple of months ago - best £269 quid I spent - but it is selling cheaper now because of the new models that have come out.
I can post some pics that i have took with it if u or anyone wants to see them -some of the places people may reconise - esp u stephen LOL

When I get a chance i will look for the card reader and give u a shout and see what we can come up with!!!!

One last thing I am going to cp (lisburn) tomorrow what foamcore should I get (thickness etc) for boxing in etc???

TIA

Joe90
SquareFrames

Hi & Help

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Joe,

When I say robust, I mean a machine that is built for everyday use from 9am-7pm, 7 days a week and never stops, Personally I had no contact with Frameco machines, I have had students bring their own Logan cutters in, and they were just not up to the job, they would not stand up to the 'abuse' (not the right word, but you understand) of a bust framing workshop. Stick with the Frameco, and when it comes time to upgrade, I am sure Colin will do you a wee deal.

When you go to CP, get the 5mm Foam Core, I dont think he has anything else in stock, my last batch of foam core I had to bring direct from England, Colin was stocktaking at the time and just didnt have the stock. While your in CP, take a wee drive towards Banbridge, and come into Dromore, you cant miss us, we are directly opposite the Ulster Bank, come on in, introduce yourself, maybe make you a cuppa, or the wife will. So this days training for a viewing card is more likely....didnt know you were from this wonderful, rainy island.

Listen Joe, its 07:15 and your asking me to check the BIOS, and see if the serial port is active, catch yourself on, maybe by the time I get home at 7pm, I will be wide awake, I will look later, but many thanks for your help. I am one person that, as long as the computer is working, its working, if it goes wrong, I get it fixed.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
joe90bentley

Post by joe90bentley »

Stephen

Hi and i managed to get the foamcore from colin - plus a few ideas on using it with a different type of mount idea - so i will be busy the next few days trying it out.
I was planning on coming home from lisburn and calling in to your shop - but the better half had other ideas LOL (i hate shopping LOL!!!)
I will try to get in touch with u in the next few days (phone) and arrange a suitable time etc to get over to you - i am not too far away about 10 miles or so (gonna poach ure framing lol -not) and have a good natter etc . That cup of tea sounds good - does it come with free buiscuit as well???

So I hope u get the chance to check your bios - maybe i will right - maybe not!!!

All the best for now

Joe90
SquareFrames

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Joe,

FREE biscuit? Gotta bring your own. You gotta be joking! Not allowed biscuits! Call anytime, dont worry about wife and her shopping, you should do what I do, let her go............on her OWN

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
sarah

Post by sarah »

Stephen, You are very good to allow your wife out on her own to do the shopping. My hubby doesn't trust me out on my own with the credit card :?

For the life of me don't know why :wink:
SquareFrames

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Sarah,

Not the fact that I let her out alone, its basically I cant be bothered walking 3 times a far as she does ......i.e. walk past a shop, having to go back, walk past another shop, have to go back and so on and so on and so on.......I gave up going shopping with her around 1990, and to be honest she doesnt know the meaning of the words...'Closing Time' she can go shopping on a Sunday afternoon, when the shops close at 6pm and still not get back until after 8!, and likewise late night shopping when they close at 9pm and not get back to gone 11.
She and my daughter took the car and went to Glasgow a couple of weeks ago to Ikea and Asda, left Larne on the 7am boat, got back at 03:15 the next morning, and I know it was 03:15 as she slammed the front door 'by mistake, she says the wind caught it' ....she wanted me to get up and unload the car, which as any good, loving husband would do...I completely ignored her and turned over again.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
SquareFrames

Post by SquareFrames »

For Attention of Joe90,

Hi Jonathan,

Good to see you yesterday, pity you didnt have time to ample the wife's wonderful coffee, but anyhoo......

Tried what you suggested with the card reader, didnt work, tried it on the computer in work this morning, didnt work, so its on its way back to PC World where it can be 'Stamped' on as well as their prices. Now you have met my wonderful wife, you know how much grovelling, sweet talking, etc. I have to do to try and wangle a new digital camera.

Look forward to 2005 when you can get doing the 5 Day course, talk soon,

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
SquareFrames

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Jonathan,

Tried to email you last night, failed badly. never had the time to post this, was hijacked to go shopping with daughter, never again, cost me?

Email me, themckeegallery@aol.com and I can reply.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre