customers at it again

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
stcstc

Re: customers at it again

Post by stcstc »

isnt it something like less than 5% of the population visit a frame shop

so there is no wonder so many people ask how much, not that they are trying to get cheaper, its that they have no concept of what it costs
markw

Post by markw »

So sometimes the best question is "what's your budget?"
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's one thing if someone has a new print. No complications like border sigs or wotnot. The ones that put up red flags are re-frame jobs. It often takes as long tearing down and getting it into a state where you can even start to make a new frame. Sometimes it is hard to give a firm quote with the thing on the bench in front of you.

Phone quotes are guesswork. Guess to high in anticipation of problems and you risk losing the job. Guess too low and you can faff about half the day for peanuts.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Got this, this afternoon the order came from a phone enquiry one of my staff spent some time and gave the lady some good advise.

Hi Darren

Just a quick line to let you know Dave absolutely loved the Judge Dredd picture!!!! Thanks again, it was brilliant!

Love

Caroline

I think we may have a customer for life there, and it looks like part of roboframers fantasy is coming true for me lol.

Anyway GTA5 time
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I believe that prices are only part of the equation and that value is the important factor which determines if they will be spending their money with you, or with someone else. I tell them that I have something to suit most budgets and invite them to come and see what I can offer to suit their needs. I ask questions about the item (or items) to be framed and quote a range of prices while making sure that I mention "good quality" and "value" during the conversation.

I try to avoid using the budget word, until they are in the shop as this can be negative and off putting. In my experience, talking prices without being able to show them my moulding samples and examples of my work, does not get me an order. Price is important, but people want to be inspired with what I can offer. Therefore it is important to ensure that I get them into my shop, so I can show them what I can do for them.

It is equally important to me that, even when I did not get that particular sale that the potential customer went away with a great impression, because they may recommend me to someone else as a result of impression they got from me and my business.

Building your reputation is something that we can all aim to do, every time that anyone comes into our shop!

In addition to my normal stock, I also have a selected and limited range of cheap, but nice looking mouldings to make sure that even the cheapskates can find something at the right price, which they will be pleased with. In these difficult times and within reason, I'm willing to accommodate those with low budgets, without having to sacrifice my profits, or resorting to selling poor quality materials.

In order to do this, you have the right strategy in place and this strategy will probably have elements which are unique to you and your business. Don't be affraid to be yourself and to offer something different from your competitors - This is how you get noticed and an important part of how you gain a reputation.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Well Said, Customer is a Customer. Either way a sale is always made check this clip out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izOIOvguncU
Quite confidence inspiring. :D
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

At a recent FATG event a picture framer - and not a totally unknown one either, asked me and A.N. Other framer how much we charged for framing shirts. We both instantly came up with a cost - even if they were 'around' costs and 'depending'

With (say) an A4 certificate/photo much less 'depends' as you have an exact size, which you can enlarge to another exact size with a mount, which would be the best/nicest way to do it. With that information, and not worrying about stuff you can make it look even better with, like extra mounts, slips, deep wrapped bevels, AR glass UV glass AR UV glass .... whatever ....... you can grab a corner sample from behind you that you know you sell well for that type of thing, and also know that there is far more the same price as that moulding that will suit it .............. and give, what the enquirer enquired for in the first place - A PRICE!

It's not difficult.

Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

I've found the answer !
Its on Logan's website

Employing a strictly logical measure, the cost of framing should not greatly exceed the cost of the art itself.

So now you know..... :o

Just ask the customer " How much this picture costs you?

And that's what it will cost you, for me to frame it :clap: :giggle:

I am surprised Logan offer such misleading info :head:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
nickhood
Organisation: Hook Framing
Interests: Gardening.local history

Post by nickhood »

On a similar thread. A lady walked in to a framing shop and asked "how much it would cost to frame this picture". After measuring and deciding on mount etc. a price of £45.00 was quoted.
"that's far too much". we have a cheaper range of mouldings which will reduce the price to £35.00. Still too much. Ok we could a use a plastic moulding which would make the price £25.00. "Still too much" she complains. "what can you do for £5.00"? I can hold the door open for you madam came the reply! :lol:
prospero

Post by prospero »

That reminds me of the "Lady of the Night" standing outside her front door when a punter approaches her. "How much?", he enquires. She recites her price list to him. "That's too much for me.", he says. "What can I get for 2 quid?". She opens the door and shouts inside - "Mother!".

:Slap:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

........ and that reminds me of the one of the 38 yr old guy in a nightclub, getting on veeeeeeeery well with a feisty late forties/early fifties lady - come taxi-home-time she whispers "Ever had a sportsman's double"?

"What's one of those"? he asked

"You know, mother and daughter ......"!

"O
M
G"!

He cannot believe it - if SHE is this hot then .................... O ......M .......G !!

So, back to her place, in they go, she turns on the passage light, and shouts up the stairs .....

"MUM .... ARE YOU AWAKE"!

Slightly back on topic ... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

prospero

Post by prospero »

An old mate of mine used to paint a bit and also did framing an gifts and such.... he had a little shop, but it was in the back of beyond which in Lincs is really in the sticks, so he had a the bright idea of having a stall at the Lincolnshire Show. Now this event is well attended, but it's essentially a trade show for farmers. Who, it has to be said, are not exactly what you would term 'spendthifts'. :lol: So after two days there he had taken precisely 30p. Come packing up time on the last day, a lady sidles up and points to an unframed canvas propped up a chair. It had no price on it, but he used to sell them about £75. Now he had a strange sense of humour sometimes and was feeling a bit p'd off at the time so he immediately replied, "It's one pound fifty". To which the lady asked if that included the frame. "Of course", said he and produced an ornate gold frame to show her.

She didn't buy the painting. :clap:

His wife nearly had kittens by all accounts.

There is a moral to that story, but I've no idea what it is. :roll: