Nil glass Issues

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Nil glass Issues

Post by Jayvee »

Nothing wrong with the brand at all! Love the stuff think it's great...but my problem is;

Been using it for well over a year, with microfiber cloths (the grey ones from lions) - no problems at all! anyways, my nil glass bottle broke (fell on the floor the other week) so had to do something sharpish as had a few rush jobs... So went and bought a new squirty bottle (some sorta window cleaner) so I emptied this out, rinsed the bottle with a lot of water (I mean a lot!) waited for it to air dry, then filled up with nil glass from the 5 lt tub.

Here is where the problem arises...everything looks fine on the surface and with a quick inspection, but on closer inspection after the spray has been wiped off/cleaned etc there appears to be small circles (It appears to be some sort of residue from the cleaner) on either side if the glass, they can be wiped off with a cloth, but they are just a massive pain!

Do you think it could be either too much spray - as the head seems to allow more cleaning fluid to come out than the original nil glass bottle? Or possibly something to do with a reaction with the nil glass and the previous cleaning fluid?

Best option would be to get a new nilglass bottle I suppose, but I either keep forgetting - or I'm not putting an order in with Simons for a while!!

Any thoughts would be great!!

Cheers all!
Roboframer

Re: Nil glass Issues

Post by Roboframer »

If they can be wiped off with a cloth, why weren't they wiped off with the cloth that cleaned/dried the glass in the first place?

You can buy spray bottles e.g. http://www.preservationequipment.com/St ... EL-Sprayer

Have you tried the nilglass not sprayed - i.e. straight from the 5 litre tub on to your cloth - or just water? Maybe the rings/marks were on the glass before you cleaned it - the paper that interleaves the sheets can cause marks and sometimes they can be pretty much etched in to the surface and it'll take 0000 grade steel wool to shift it. But usually that'll make a mackerel-skin type pattern.
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Post by Jayvee »

It's quite odd really and quite hard to explain what they are... Glass looks perfectly clean then when put together (and usually taped) you can see shadows on the image, the cause, these small ring like residues...quite odd really! It's only happened since I broke the bottle!! Will have to get a new one see if that helps! As I've used the nil glass from the 5ltr before!

Hmmm....
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I can't see how it is likey to be the Nil Glass, so it has to be either some kind of contaminating residue in the bottle, or contamination on the glass.

What's the temperature like in your workshop? Just a thought!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Nil glass is a great product, although we have switched to the slightly more expensive fizz, nothing to do with quality it just smells like apples, this seems to appease Gemma, which is worth the extra 50p a bottle.