Discontinued Wessex Frinton (WF) moulding required

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
andy_parks

Discontinued Wessex Frinton (WF) moulding required

Post by andy_parks »

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone might have some of this discontinued tray frame moulding from Wessex Pictures? Wessex haven't got any anymore. The code is WF072 but It can be any of that series (WF067 to WF074) as it is the profile that is important and I can paint it grey. The moulding has a rough finish that looks like it has been painted with Sandtex which is what the customer really likes. I am after quite a bit of it for future exhibitions by the customer and I wondered if, like me, you might have bought a load of this and only used it for one customer (rarely at first but became a regular). As you can see from the attachments the moulding is about 45mm wide and 50mm deep with a 25mm rebate for the "tray" effect. Any offers welcome!
Attachments
WF 073 ruler on right.JPG
WF 073 ruler on right.JPG (133.3 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
WF 073 from top.JPG
WF 073 from top.JPG (136.24 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Re: Discontinued Wessex Frinton (WF) moulding required

Post by Framerpicture »

If your prepared to paint it, wouldn't be too expensive to get made in bare wood. You could try Norfolk Moldings
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

have sent you an email Andy

Ian
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Venton Enterprises have a couple of rectanglar profile in bare wood with deep sight edges. I don't know the exact dimensions, but who knows, it might be worth giving them a phone call.

Textured paints containing the gritty bits are relatively easy to find as well, but the size of the gritty bits will depend upon which particular paint you decide to buy. Craig and Rose have a range of suede textured paints which you can even buy in match pots. The range of colours is limited, but maybe you can tint then to the colour that you need. I don't use them these days, but when I did I got them from B & Q, but you may be able to get them elsewhere as well.

B & Q have their own range of acylic based external emulsion in about three, or four different colours. From memory, I think these are probably white, off white, brick red and black. All of these colours are available in a smooth finish, but some are also available in a textured finish. They come in large tubs, probably 5 or 10 litres. Don't ask me which colours are available in a textured finish, as I've never bothered to find out.

The smooth paints in this range are not completely matt and as I prefer proper matt paints, I mix the colours which I use with the Craig and Rose chalky emulsion. This results in a nice thick matt paint with added durabilty due to the added acrylic content. The Craig and Rose chalky emulsion is available in match pots and in 2.5 litre tins.

You might decide that you need to add some chalky emulsion to the textured paint to get a nice matt effect as well. I mix the brick red B & Q smooth acrylic exterior emulsion with Craig & Rose osbourne maroon chalky emulsion, to produce a nice matt earthy red for use under gold finishes. I also mix the B & Q antique white with Craig & Rose regency white to produce a similarly durable matt antique white.

I'm fairly sure that a lot of other brands will offer very similar products and I mainly use these brands, because B & Q just happens to be my nearest DIY type store, so don't feel that you should limit yourself to using the brands that I use.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

if you get stuck, let me know

I can run you one length or as many as is needed in bare obeche or tulip

note to all. I am a framer who can supply framers any raw wood profile.

we mostly do it for ourselves but don't mind helping anyone out
andy_parks

Post by andy_parks »

Hi again about the moulding. Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the replies. First of all a massive thank you to Not Your Average Framer as you clearly know your paints! I think an exterior matt finish sounds the way to go as you seem to prefer the matt finishes. Also B & Q is not a million miles away from Petersfield. Also thanks to TimH for the offer and I may well contact you in the future and also Framerpicture for the Norfolk Mouldings resource. I still have a bit of moulding in stock but you have all given me some great alternatives once I run out of this batch. Many thanks again and I look forward to reading your listings in the future.

Best wishes,

Andy
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

We do quite a bit of hand finishing and can spray in lengths to keep costs lower.

The offer is there if you want to send me a sample we can look at producing it.

For very big runs speak with Phil Sheldon at Ashworth & Thompson

They can do finishes on mouldings but i think larger runs are better and more cost effective

Tim