Postage Stamps Advice!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
The Shed Worker
Organisation: Art and Frames
Interests: Reading, cross-stitch, card making, fire engines.....

Postage Stamps Advice!

Post by The Shed Worker »

Hi all

I've been presented with a block of 20 postage stamps to frame and would welcome your advice.

The block still has the white tear off strip down one side which the customer does not want removing but does not want to see, and some of the perforations between the stamps have been torn and ideally need 'taping' to prevent the stamps parting company from the rest of the block.

I've tried searching previous posts about dealing with stamps but to no avail. Incidentally, Barrington Smith in Leicester ceased trading at the end of September 2013 :crying:

Thankfully the block is more sentimental than financial in value, but nontheless I would welcome any ideas on how to tackle this little project!

Thanks.
prospero

Re: Postage Stamps Advice!

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Shed Worker. 8)

I would go for the encapsulation method. That is, putting the sheet between two sheets of polyester film (Melinex).

Basically, cut two sheets about an inch bigger than the stamps. Lay the stamps in the middle of one sheet and lay strips of doublestick tape around (leaving no gaps and leaving the release paper on). Then lay the other clear sheet on top. Smooth out all the air and get a book or something the about the same size as the stamps and put on top. Carefully lift each side of the top sheet in turn and peel the backing paper off the tape and smooth down. Don't get the tape too near the stamps. If you do it right, the stamps will stay in the middle and not slide about, so will not be altered in any way. No adhesive will touch them. Then it's just a case of laying the encapsulated sheet on a suitable background and putting a window mount on top, leaving the edge of the stamps showing, but making sure the d/s tape is under the mount.
The polyester film is of archival quality and is often used in the storage of fragile documents and such. If does put a shiny surface over the item, but under glass it's not so noticeable.

You can get it here -> http://www.preservationequipment.com/St ... ster-Rolls

It's handy stuff to have about the place. Lots of uses.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I have used this method many times for stamps, it works well.
The Shed Worker

Thanks for the reply. I've used this method before (a series of laser cut tissue designs caused me a few headaches last year...) but wondered if there was an approved alternative, mainly due to the white border still being attached to one side.

Not having had a block of stamps to deal with previously (usually singles arrive for display), I figured the wealth of experience out there was worth tapping in to. I'm now thinking I might need a microscope attachment for my Ultimat to do some micro accurate cutting!
The Shed Worker

Sorry, forgot to say thanks for the link for where I can get the Melinex so, THANK YOU!