Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Grease on mountboard

Post by Coxby »

I recently received a number of commisions [sp.] from an artist who drew direct onto her medium taped onto a pre cut mount so that she drew through the aperture. When coming to draw mount lines I noticed that the colour skipped over areas where her hands had rested and deposited grease. I used a new mount and solved the problem but has anyone found a way of cleaning a mount before laying mount lines?
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Mounts

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Coxby,

Was this the artist's fault or a manufacturing fault?

Few things I have done to clean grease or any marks off mountboard:

1. Brown paper, and iron the spot, it lifts the grease off allowing you to rub the remainder off with an eraser (This method is also great for Batiks before framing)
2. Putty eraser
3. Subtle use of a mount cutting blade, and GENTLY scrape the surface paper, then using a scrap piece of board of the same texture rub the fibres back together
4. Small amount of metholated spirits on a tissue, then use No.3
5. Spittle, the enzymes (big word there) in common spittle breaks up some substances, especially blood, so dont throw out your bled over mounts before spitting on them and lifting off (soaking up) the blood with a tissue

Experiment with whatever you think is best and always remember the old adage, 'check it before you chuck it'

Hope you get it sorted?

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Here in the USA we have a product called "K-2R Spot Lifter". If you don't have it, you probably have something similar. It is an aerosol can, which allows spraying onto the stain. When the spray dries it becomes powder, which may be brushed off or, if you can do it, blown off with compressed air.

This method works on most of the fingerprint stains we find on mats.

Another choice would be to apply a solvent to the stain with a cotton ball or Q-Tip, and then blot it dry. We use "Adhesive Release", a canned solvent intended to dissolve drymounts & other adhesives. I believe it is mostly naptha, or a drycleaning fluid.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Just noticed someone selling K2r on eBay UK
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Grease on Mountboard

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi John,

Looked on Ebay, seen the K2r, bid for it, got it at £3 including postage, got it delivered this morning, (with apologies for the Holiday post), and it works great!

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre