Cotton on .....

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Roboframer

Cotton on .....

Post by Roboframer »

This cabinet arrived when we were on our cruise and it took me a couple of days to notice it!

How would it be if mount board came in such variety! (It's not even the complete range but first large unit on left is complete range of polyester)
gutermann1.JPG
gutermann1.JPG (275.39 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
Top left small cabinet.
gutermann2.JPG
gutermann2.JPG (258.68 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
(Edit - oops wrong sub forum, not exactly framing, sorry)!
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Cotton on .....

Post by IFGL »

That sir is a lot of cotton.

we have many mount board colours but, If necessary I can match almost any colour I am asked to, we have a spot colour checker, which basically will give me the pantone colour code of any colour, I can then print a face paper and bond it to any board I like, this is as fade resistant as any board I know and will come in many finishes, this can also be incredibly cheap one of the papers I use is less than £1.50 per sqm, I can also print directly onto mount board up to a extra large arqadia sheet 44 x 64" , the colour gamut is not as wide but could still get into the millions of different shades.

Not something I use often but do when the need arises.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

But is it cheap when you take the ink into account? £1.50/sq.m would only leave max £2.00 for ink to make it more expensive than board... although you would only need one sheet.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

It isn't a case of the cost of materials, if I need to match a colour I can and do, I charge a lot more for this than just a mount, the last one I did was a sunset the customer wanted as the mount, then she had seven apertures cut into it and pictures of her and her boyfriend put in, it was truly awful, but she liked it :shock:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The small (100m) reels of normal cotton and polyester retail for £1.60 and when the photo was taken pretty much all slots had at least 3 reels in - (the cabinet deal came with a "Three fill" but we already had a large amount of stock from our old cabinets), do the maths if you're bored. (£2016.00 min for biggest cabinet section anyway)

Wife got a VERY good deal, the cabinets and the "three fill" were direct from Gutermann, most independents have to deal with distributors.
MelvynB
Organisation: Creativecurtains&blinds
Interests: Football

Post by MelvynB »

Robo
seeing that thread stand sent a shiver down my spine in our shop mainly made 2 measure curtains and blind my dear wife suggested we do haberdashery great margin she said but spending 20 mins with mrs smith picking the colour match for her thread then when you get that," have you any corespun didnt realy want 100% polyester" then they spend next 10 mins asking your advice on how to make roman blind or whatever after 2 years gave all stock to local dry cleaner
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We have a dry cleaning agency - and everyone knows how to make a Roman blind .... and a Swiss roll :lol:
MelvynB
Organisation: Creativecurtains&blinds
Interests: Football

Post by MelvynB »

Forgot to mention dry cleaner now suing me for cost of therapy ha ha
Dave

Post by Dave »

Pastels anyone?
pastels.jpg
pastels.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2942 times

And sometimes I hear "you haven't got the colour I want".

Dave
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Thats bobins that Robo :giggle: :giggle: