Masking Tape - is there a solvent ?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Martin Harrold
Organisation: MD of Lion / Member of Executive of FATG
Interests: Developing the business, making our customers happy, skiing, racing my 2CV, enjoying two wonderful grandchildren, etc . . .

Masking Tape - is there a solvent ?

Post by Martin Harrold »

I know that I should know the answer to this, but, I don't.

It's a long story, but a decorator masked up some exterior white painted wood window frames and then the weather turned so he did not come back for a long while. I'm now trying to peel off the tape, which is quite dry. Either it comes off, bringing the paint with it, or just the paper comes off leaving the cream adhesive residue.

Does anyone have any expert knowledge or experience of how to remove the tape and adhesive in one go, or to remove the residue. For technical reasons, sandpaper is not an option ?

Any help much appreciated. Yes - the answer might also be relevant to picture framing !
Martin Harrold
md LION PFS Ltd
m 07973 303982
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Martin, have you tried a hot air gun?
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

For removing gunky adhesive residue, we often use Naphtha – commercially available cigarette lighter fluid.

I imagine it might depend upon the variety of paint from which you’re trying to remove the tape, but it works pretty well with the standard polyurethane finished wood we see in picture frame mouldings.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I would try this stuff. You should be able to get your hands on it without too much bother. :)

It does what it says on the bottle, and I've been amazed at how easily it removed permanent marker from a high sheen finish moulding without causing any damage whatsoever.

Try a drop on an unseen area of paintwork first to see if it marks it in any way.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

great stuff that tape solvent

it's great when the tape solvent bottles get broken in transit :) - makes the workshop walls bend a little bit :p
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I always warm the tape with a hot air gun before peeling of the tape. The adhesive generally goes a bit stringing as the tape pulls away, and then I clean off the residual adhesive with "Baccus bookcloth cleaner", which contains Amonium Hydroxide. The other option is Brasso, which looks and smells like the same stuff. Brasso however is more agressive on the paint and needs more care in use.

Baccus bookcloth cleaner, Brasso and Dura-glit are part of my tool-kit for restoring marked painted mouldings and are usually very successful. The bookcloth cleaner is available from "The Syston Bindery" near Leicester. If the adhesive residue is very old and hard it will be more difficult to remove and may need another method.

Isn't there something for removing tape in the Lion catalogue?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I think Martin knows about Zest it somehow!

But in his case the stuff has been open to the elements, bit like an accelerated ageing test!

I know what I'd do - couple of quick attempts from ideas above - no joy? (and I mean quickly) Put it down to experience - rip it off and start again - rather pay out than deal with the grief!
Martin Harrold
Organisation: MD of Lion / Member of Executive of FATG
Interests: Developing the business, making our customers happy, skiing, racing my 2CV, enjoying two wonderful grandchildren, etc . . .

Masking tape

Post by Martin Harrold »

Well, what a great response to a tiresome problem, so thanks. I'll test as many as I can and report back.
Martin Harrold
md LION PFS Ltd
m 07973 303982
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Heptane is one of the solvents used in the in paper conservation to remove the adhesive left by adhesive tapes…….I cant say how it might work on a painted surface……but you could try a small test area………….

I got this tip from one of our fellow posters Jerry (Jerome) Fieg…….he is a mind of information on conservation matters…..

Extract from Susan Page's paper

Tape Removal
In addition to protective supports and coverings, most of these drawings had been repaired with various tapes during the past.
Non-pressure-sensitive tapes: Glassine and linen tape
Glassine and linen tape was removed from the verso by applying a small amount of warm water on top of the tape to soften the adhesive. Much of the adhesive was removed when the carrier was lifted off. Residue was removed with moist cotton swabs and the paper blotted dry.
Pressure sensitive tape: Cellulose acetate tape
Previously applied strips of pressure sensitive cellulose acetate tape carrier were brittle and desiccated. Removal was simplified because they either fell off or were gently lifted with a thin metal spatula.

Adhesive residue removal
Conservation treatment included reducing adhesive tape residue. This is a challenging conservation procedure on tracing papers. the adhesive residue is soluble in the same solvents which solubilize the transparentizing resin impregnating the tracing paper. There is consensus among most conservators in favor of retaining the original transparentizing compounds. Testing done to the adhesive after the carrier was removed revealed that a solvent or solvent combination could reduce the adhesive mass without blanching or stripping the resin from the tracing paper. However, some of the drawings were covered with rather large amounts of repair tape. Because any manipulation of these brittle papers harbors the potential to cause further damage and loss, the adhesive mass on some tracings could not be treated. in these few cases risk of damage or loss during even careful handling was too great to permit safe adhesive reduction. Whenever possible, however, removing adhesive residue mass reduces visual distraction and allows the plans to be read more easily.

Several solvents were tested and tetrohydrofuran and the more user friendly mixture-- 40% acetone, 30% ethyl acetate, and 30% heptane were used. .2 This solvent substantially reduced the adhesive residue mass without stripping the resin from the impregnated tracing paper or altering any of the media. A shadow of adhesive tape residue remains apparent on most of the plans. the solvent treated areas were not flushed with water due to the paper's reactivity to moisture. All adhesive removal was conducted on a vacuum suction table.

Below is the full report from the The American Institute for Conservation by Susan Page

http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v16/bp16-09.html

You can get Heptane for a Laboratory supply business house

The best of luck