glass recycling
-
markw
glass recycling
I notice that Glass and Mirror offer a glass recycling service for their regular customers. What a brilliant idea - I don't buy all my glass from them at present but this has definitely got my interest.
-
Dermot
It sounds like a wonderful idea that Glass & Mirror have for their customers...............and I wish them every success with this program......they are to be commended for a proactive approach to recycling...
I wonder how they then recycle the glass they collect from their customers!!!!
It would be interesting to know how Glass & Mirror deal with the glass they collect for recycling..........where are they sending it!!!!!
I wonder how they then recycle the glass they collect from their customers!!!!
It would be interesting to know how Glass & Mirror deal with the glass they collect for recycling..........where are they sending it!!!!!
-
Roboframer
G&M provide a box that is collected with deliveries and charge £50 a year.
That's fine, but with them coming here just once a month, sometimes less, that box would weigh a ton.
Still - suppose they could provide two or three, I'll speak to my rep, and I'll find out how they recycle it too.
But I vaguely remember talking about recycling with him before and he said there is a company that they use. Would they come here? No - they only want large collections.
Edit HERE is a PDF of their latest newsletter. It is boxes, not box. See 'Going green is the only colour to be'
That's fine, but with them coming here just once a month, sometimes less, that box would weigh a ton.
Still - suppose they could provide two or three, I'll speak to my rep, and I'll find out how they recycle it too.
But I vaguely remember talking about recycling with him before and he said there is a company that they use. Would they come here? No - they only want large collections.
Edit HERE is a PDF of their latest newsletter. It is boxes, not box. See 'Going green is the only colour to be'
-
kev@frames
- Posts: 1951
- Joined: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 12:06 am
- Location: Penzance Cornwall UK
- Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
- Interests: 4 or 5 ...
- Location: West Cornwall, UK
- Contact:
I'd speculate that (like electrical goods) regulations will arrive in due course to oblige the glass suppliers to dispose of the waste glass produced. Probably put up the price, of course.
our cullet is collected "on demand" (when the bin's full, we call and they take it away). Charge is £9 a lift round these parts. I believe it is probably crushed goes into roadfill., or it may be being recycled (?) I presume as its a licensed trade waste collection the commericial or political (council) pressures at the time dictate what happens to it once it's left us.
If you are having a problem with your glass disposal, your trade waste collectors ought to be able to supply a glass bin, same as they supply to bigger pubs and clubs. I guess it must hold around a ton.
our cullet is collected "on demand" (when the bin's full, we call and they take it away). Charge is £9 a lift round these parts. I believe it is probably crushed goes into roadfill., or it may be being recycled (?) I presume as its a licensed trade waste collection the commericial or political (council) pressures at the time dictate what happens to it once it's left us.
If you are having a problem with your glass disposal, your trade waste collectors ought to be able to supply a glass bin, same as they supply to bigger pubs and clubs. I guess it must hold around a ton.
-
Roboframer
I really am loathe to pay for recycling - it's included in domestic rates, but not in non-domestic rates. I pay a grand a year to get my shop wheelie bin emptied and if they can't include recycling in that then stuff them.
One shop in my 'strip' burns all their cardboard, another slips the bin guys a few quid to take it for landfill and it's a LOT - they sell garden machinery.
I used to take mine to the local amenity tip but they caught me out as trade.
One private refuse collector has approached us that does recycling - dunno about glass. They want to send around a refuse 'assesor' YE GOD'S what a job title!! But before I switch I have to cancel a contract.
But West Sussex County Council have not - they are meeting their targets with domestic waste, most retail giants have recycling systems in place - none better than The Body Shop, whose HQ is 2 miles from here.
But small independents don't register with them, even if all the shops in our village centre do produce more recyclable waste than a large housing estate.
It's all politics and money; not concern for the environment they don't care; why should I?
One shop in my 'strip' burns all their cardboard, another slips the bin guys a few quid to take it for landfill and it's a LOT - they sell garden machinery.
I used to take mine to the local amenity tip but they caught me out as trade.
One private refuse collector has approached us that does recycling - dunno about glass. They want to send around a refuse 'assesor' YE GOD'S what a job title!! But before I switch I have to cancel a contract.
But West Sussex County Council have not - they are meeting their targets with domestic waste, most retail giants have recycling systems in place - none better than The Body Shop, whose HQ is 2 miles from here.
But small independents don't register with them, even if all the shops in our village centre do produce more recyclable waste than a large housing estate.
It's all politics and money; not concern for the environment they don't care; why should I?
-
markw
will
I have started to take the attitude that caring about recycling is my problem and I will find a way to stop wasting materials that can be reused. The fact that local authorities seem to ignore small businesses just means that I have to find my own solution. Personally I am trying to half the amount of waste I produce - hopefully I will half the cost of disposing of it.
I can remember seeing somewhere that clear glass has a high lead content - any well informed comment on this? Why cant it be recycled with domestic glass?
I can remember seeing somewhere that clear glass has a high lead content - any well informed comment on this? Why cant it be recycled with domestic glass?
-
JFeig
- Posts: 1479
- Joined: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 8:31 pm
- Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
- Organisation: minoxy, LLC
- Interests: non-fiction knowledge
I know that this is a US price list for recylced glass ..... but it is an indication that there much not be enough money for either side of the pond.
http://www.recycle.net/Glass/glass/index.html
Plate glass is only $9.00 a ton (2,000lb) in LTL loads (LTL= less than truck loads. A basic limit for a truck is about 40,000 (TL) . Thats only $180 a load. No margin for a recycler.
http://www.recycle.net/Glass/glass/index.html
Plate glass is only $9.00 a ton (2,000lb) in LTL loads (LTL= less than truck loads. A basic limit for a truck is about 40,000 (TL) . Thats only $180 a load. No margin for a recycler.
Jerome Feig CPF®
-
Vix
- Posts: 104
- Joined: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 6:04 pm
- Location: Yorkshire
- Organisation: Whitlam Framing
- Interests: Digging holes......archaeology and golfing
- Location: Yorkshire
- Contact:
Glass re-cycling
Hi there, been lurking for a while now but felt in a bit of a controversial mood so here goes.
The G&M re-cycling offer seems a very good idea at face value but look at what i've just found on the web http://www.enworks.com/case_study_detai ... ir+Savings
Guess who is on their list! If you take the time to read it, it will tell you that G&M get FREE, yes free collection on demand for their waste glass, whilst we the poor framer are yet again being charged for the privilege of disposal.
In the electrical trade, i've heard that the powers that be are going to eventually make it that the retailer who sold you for example a TV, will be under an obligation to dispose of it when its worn out at their expense............I wonder if this will be the case with the glass merchants and the waste glass?
The G&M re-cycling offer seems a very good idea at face value but look at what i've just found on the web http://www.enworks.com/case_study_detai ... ir+Savings
Guess who is on their list! If you take the time to read it, it will tell you that G&M get FREE, yes free collection on demand for their waste glass, whilst we the poor framer are yet again being charged for the privilege of disposal.
In the electrical trade, i've heard that the powers that be are going to eventually make it that the retailer who sold you for example a TV, will be under an obligation to dispose of it when its worn out at their expense............I wonder if this will be the case with the glass merchants and the waste glass?
- John
- Site Admin
- Posts: 1896
- Joined: Sun 27 Apr, 2003 8:00 pm
- Location: Ireland
- Organisation: Tech Support
- Interests: Forums and stuff
- Location: Belfast
- Contact:
Hi Vix,
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the link.
I expect that the explanation is that the sort of volume that the average framer produces does not cover the expense of free collection.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the link.
I expect that the explanation is that the sort of volume that the average framer produces does not cover the expense of free collection.
HOW Much!?
EstLite Picture Framing Software
EstLite Picture Framing Software
