Page 1 of 1
Super thick mounts
Posted: Tue 11 Jun, 2013 11:35 am
by CalicoFraming
I cut a mount the other day comprising two layers of 2000 micron board glued together to create a really deep bevel. Problem was the face paper in the middle showed up as a different colour to the rest of the core papers. I'm wondering what to do about this? I could buy solid core board so the colour runs all the way through, but that's quite expensive. Or I guess I could strip off the face paper on one layer. But I'm wondering what people think about how to deal with this.
thanks all
: )
Re: Super thick mounts
Posted: Tue 11 Jun, 2013 11:58 am
by prospero
Even with everything matching you are still going to see the join.

I've done this sometimes and made a feature of the join by using bright coloured boards.
Bevels this deep are best used as an undermount so you can wrap the bevel. It would look cool with a thick board under a thin one (Same paper as you wrap the bevel) that is set back to reveal maybe 3mm of 'flat' on the underlayer.
Or you could paint the bevel.

Re: Super thick mounts
Posted: Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:04 pm
by easypopsgcf
Or stick them back to back , then the bevel should be a consistent colour all the way through
Re: Super thick mounts
Posted: Tue 11 Jun, 2013 1:36 pm
by Graysalchemy
Thats why I use arqadia's Hayseed the core is the same as the face paper. They also do it in 3500m which you wouldn't probably notice the difference anyway.
Re: Super thick mounts
Posted: Tue 11 Jun, 2013 2:21 pm
by Roboframer
You can see the join on most extra thick boards - more than one join even and also on some normal thickness boards ..... if you look close enough!
In the artcare range "Igloo" is the closest colour to the core/backing paper so I can make extra thick mounts with that back-to-back with any colour from the range and as thick as my mount-cutter can cope with. I use starch paste to bond the boards together with, I find it the most invisible when dry and also the easiest to cut through.
Re: Super thick mounts
Posted: Tue 11 Jun, 2013 2:54 pm
by Graysalchemy
Admittedly the face paper is bonded onto the board but the face paper of hayseed is made from the same material and of the same colour as the core, hence why I use it, also the core has no visible joins in it unlike other brands. Timecare boards have no visible join either.