Page 1 of 2
Framing a book
Posted: Mon 08 Jul, 2013 12:48 pm
by Smiffy
Hey everyone!
Just had an order in which includes the framing of an old WW2 discharge booklet.. pretty tatty, but i've sorted that with some good old archival tape.
Just after methods of attaching the booklet to the backboard, preferably without the use of melinex etc...
I was thinking about float mounting it, but just a bit worried that over time the tape won't hold as it should.
Any suggestions??
Thanks!
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Mon 08 Jul, 2013 1:04 pm
by Roboframer
If you do all bar the cover with melinex then that's it safely supported - then the cover could be closed and held with 'archival tape'
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Mon 08 Jul, 2013 2:00 pm
by Smiffy
Hey Robo..
I forgot to mention, the booklet is to be mounted open, so that the certificate of discharge is shown.
Melinex, never used... dont know how to use it or where to buy.....??
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Mon 08 Jul, 2013 2:45 pm
by Roboframer
OK so for support, melinex-wrap all but the two pages showing and then deal with those separately with hinges etc.
After doing a training workshop with me

Re: Framing a book
Posted: Mon 08 Jul, 2013 2:56 pm
by prospero
I would steer away from sticking anything to it. Old paper is very fragile and and adhesive might only stick to the surface which would pull away very easily.
Now would be a good time to gen up on Melinex.

Re: Framing a book
Posted: Tue 09 Jul, 2013 9:39 pm
by pramsay13
Lion sell a big roll, not too expensive and you will use it again.
http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/Clear- ... 926,0.aspx
Download the Jim Miller book from here (3rd post down) and play about with it.
http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ler#p75045
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Wed 10 Jul, 2013 5:25 am
by benjiman grapes
In avoiding anything being stuck to it i would determine my glass size then cut a thin aperture for the spine to sit in.
Using fishing line, I'd stitch the book down (not stitching through the book) to hold everything in place.
I saw the technique used in a castle in Scotland just outside of Aberdeen. The castle's deeds had been stitched down using a a grid with each stitch being about 100mm apart going horizontal and vertical. Standing 5 foot back you barely notice the thread.
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Wed 10 Jul, 2013 9:55 am
by Roboframer
Don't like the sound of that! Anyway it's a document, you don't want to view it from 5 ft away, you want to read it.
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Wed 10 Jul, 2013 10:11 am
by prospero
Fishing line degrades in daylight. Mylar doesn't. You could cut strips of Mylar the same width as fishing line (not saying do, but can) and it is just as strong if not stronger.
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Wed 10 Jul, 2013 10:31 am
by Roboframer
.... and flat.
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Wed 10 Jul, 2013 1:28 pm
by prospero
Got this guy just this morning with it.

Re: Framing a book
Posted: Wed 10 Jul, 2013 1:31 pm
by Roboframer
melin' excellent

Re: Framing a book
Posted: Wed 10 Jul, 2013 1:42 pm
by prospero
My lar-gest catch yet.
15 all. New balls please.

Re: Framing a book
Posted: Wed 10 Jul, 2013 3:08 pm
by Roboframer
I knocked this up quickly - 'scuse rubbish photos.
Cut a piece of mount board the same size as the open book plus two sheets of melinex the width of a page and about 3" longer.
melinex1.JPG
Cut two slits in the melinex sheets, slighty longer than a page and about half an inch in. Place the sheets of melinex over everything but the pages to be viewed
melinex2.JPG
Place the mount board under the book and wrap the melinex on to it - fix with double-sided tape; burnish it on with a bone folder (or a knife handle etc) - trim excess melinex. You can now fix this board carrying the book on to your mounting board.
melinex3.JPG
Tuck the exposed pages in to the slits you made earlier.
melinex4.JPG
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Wed 10 Jul, 2013 8:37 pm
by pramsay13

Great how-to. You should run framing courses John
I spoke to a crafty friend recently and she was in the middle of replacing a wind chime that she had hung indoors with fishing line. It had become brittle and snapped. I don't think I would copy anything the Scots do

Re: Framing a book
Posted: Thu 11 Jul, 2013 10:36 am
by StevenG
Great mini tutorial - I'd gladly pay you a visit for a full course like that but getting to you (travel etc etc) would be the problem
Cheers
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Sun 14 Jul, 2013 9:34 am
by benjiman grapes
Going to look into this Melinex.
I think my boss needs to know about this stuff.
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Tue 23 Jul, 2013 10:16 pm
by Smiffy
Thanks for the info guys!
Sorry not got back on to thank you sooner - but I got the roll from lion (will blatantly last a lifetime!), and had a crack. Done it different to the master class shown. It worked! And if I knew how to upload a pic from my phone as that's what I'm typing on, I would! Will try from the computer tomorrow..
Re: Framing a book
Posted: Tue 23 Jul, 2013 10:25 pm
by StevenG
Glad to hear things worked out for you

Would be interested to see how the finished article looked - been trying to do a few things myself and I love to see other examples!
Thanks for the update

Re: Framing a book
Posted: Fri 26 Jul, 2013 11:48 am
by Smiffy
Here we go... Hopefully the upload will work!
That I did was to use a couple of thin strips and one thicker strip. I used the Melinex to secure the book to a piece of mount board that was cut approx 5mm short of the size of the book in each direction. Once the book was secured with a shed load of tape, the board to which it was attached was glued to the back board.
I would have preferred to do it in a way to not see the Melinex at all, but it seemed impossible, especially with the fragile state the book was in.
Let me know what you think
