Cleaning Antique/Old Frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Kevlar
Organisation: Ani Evans Photography
Interests: Framing, Photography, Golf, Travel, Motorbikes etc

Cleaning Antique/Old Frame

Post by Kevlar »

I have been asked by an existing customer to frame one of their wedding pictures in an old frame they purchased from Ebay that matches with much of the decor in their house. I am looking for any advice on what would be best to clean the frame with, to ensure that its only the dirt that is taken off the frame, in particular the internal slip edging, I'd like to bring this back to life colour wise. I have attached some pictures to show the frame. Any advice would be great thanks.

Kev
Attachments
Old Frame.jpg
Old Frame.jpg (821.06 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
prospero

Re: Cleaning Antique/Old Frame

Post by prospero »

Nice bit of oak. :D
Get some fine steel wool and some dark furniture wax. Scoop a bit of wax onto the steel wool and apply to the wood (not the gold). Work it well in, but don't scrub too hard. Work it into any dents/scratches/misc defects and mitre gaps. Wipe off excess with a cloth and leave for a while. Then get a soft duster and give it a good buffing. You'll be amazed at how it will come up. :shock: Don't do anything to the gold ornament except brushing any loose muck out of the crevices. You aren't really cleaning it, as accumulated dust is a part of the frame's history, but a good waxing will consolidate dust into the surface and give that aged look. Fly doings and decorating paint splashes should come off. :P

Check the corners to see if the glue joins are still sound. Old oak frames tend to shrink/expand and the corners give, but usually there are some hefty nails across the corners, so it's not going to fall to bits. If the corners are a tad wobbly, then don't try to cut and rejoin. Get some 3" steel 'L' plates and fix them on the back of the join.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I would do nothing more than wipe the wood portion with a bit of old terry cloth (bath towel) and some naptha.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

I don't understand the answer from Kwick- surely the products recommended are not for cleaning?

Ian
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Best thing to do is ask Lion which product is good for cleaning old frames, I thought these could restore the frame first to make it look better.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

I've had good results using a mixture of white vinegar and olive oil (mixed 1 vinegar to 4 oil in a jam jar). Test it on the back or in the rebate first