Post by Ricky »

Who's Going & When?
I'm Going Monday 3rd
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Re: Spring Fair

Post by Trinity »

The 2nd for me I think, I'm driving and want to take advantage of the Sunday traffic.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
DCS
Organisation: Durham City Studios
Interests: Photography and Framing

Post by DCS »

We are closing the shop at about 2pm on the Saturday, drive down and stay the night close by, do the fair on the Sunday and back home Sunday night.
For my sins I own and operate
http://www.durhamcitystudios.com
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Not bothering, last year was a complete waste of time. :evil:
Claim to Frame
Organisation: N/a
Interests: Framing

Post by Claim to Frame »

As somebody completely new to actual frame building I was looking to go along to this.

Is it worth it?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Absolutely!

(But) Some that have been going for years have noticed a big reduction in amount of suppliers with several big names dropping out. Two of my main three suppliers don't attend any more and one of them haven't for many years and as a result of big names dropping out, smaller companies have stopped exhibiting because they know that will affect attendance. For the last one or two days the suppliers get to know each other better because it's like Dodge City.

It's a long drive for me and usually in bad-to-very-bad conditions - at one time it was well worth it as the craft and stitch show happened at the same time (we sell crafts/needlecraft as well as framing) but now that's a separate event...... which we don't attend for that reason - coupled with the PITA drive/weather.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Me & the missus will be there on the 2nd, bit of jaunt for us but she has relatives that live close so we'll have somewhere to stay FOC :D

First time going so it'll be interesting to see everything, hopefully get some new ideas there too
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

As a 1x exhibitor and customer of the framing trade suppliers I have continued to go since retirement, good to see a few old customers in the wholesale hall, and note that the product I made has no replacement..........Yet!!. When I retired I destroyed all the moulds for the contents of my displays, those that were general product and also special editions.

When I first stood at the first framers show in Blackpool in the early 1980's, it later got amalgamated into the fine art hall at the NEC, I worried that I was opening up my product to be copied / improved. Yes, it was copied through the decor boom of the 80's/90's for the pub/hotel but the quality was always inferior, that was the judgement of my customers.

I shall go again this year, always interesting to see what is being done, my OAP's pass give me a cheap ride into the NEC.
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I hate to sound rude and unknowing but what was the product you made?
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

In the late '70's I had taught myself a method of making glass cases, graduating through epoxy resin to the unknown and difficult to source mystery substance 'Silicone Sealant'. I made glass cases that came out of the frame, rather than the chosen method of hiding a cumbersome box behind a picture frame. As the result of a challenge from the 'Antiques and Fine Arts Controller' of The Trust house Fortes Chain, I developed a range of 3D displays based on the picture frame case. Through another agent I sold a substantial selection of displays to a theatrical decor hire firm in N London, shortly after this a display of clay pipes, I had sold to A&N Hire, appeared on a popular TV program in a traditional pub setting.

One of the most active project designers of big contracts at that time had just given me a major snub, the Monday morning after the showing of the new TV series he phoned me up and apologized and told me that my new displays were now standard traditional pub decor. I don't think that those other framers, who followed down this path of decor production could tell the same story.
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Cheers, interesting history. I thank you sir :)
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

will be going, not decided what day yet
Comfyjumper
Organisation: The Small Frame Company
Interests: Framing, auctions, antiques, boxers, gardening................

Post by Comfyjumper »

Going on the Tuesday.......up by train...although judging by the weather a boat might be a better bet!
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Post by baughen »

I'm intending to go but haven't decided which day. This will be my first visit. I haven't received any response about the Fine Art sessions (mentioned in the Lion website).
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

considering when we attended 2 years ago we did nearly £1500 worth of damage to the car we were driving due to black ice i don't think we'll be going :)
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Probably go and check out the deals they have on mouldings and machines
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

Grahame Case wrote:considering when we attended 2 years ago we did nearly £1500 worth of damage to the car we were driving due to black ice i don't think we'll be going :)
There is of course a remote possibility that there may be no black ice this year.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Isn't there black ice is Scotland all year round?
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

I was there in July and there was no black ice then - could have been freak weather though.
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Considering it's a free event and there's only so many times you can walk round, I'm looking forward to the programme of events that FATG have put on.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.