Page 1 of 1
Masking Tape Abomination
Posted: Tue 04 Mar, 2014 9:59 am
by Graysalchemy
I have probably done some shocking things in my time but none as bad as this.
A 1966 quarter final world cup ticket.
I carefully cut it back leaving about 1mm of tape protruding. Then I remounted using mylar corners onto a backboard hinged to the mount. I obviously had to leave the tape on the back of the ticket.
This wasn't much better
2000 Manchester United program signed by Roy Keene.
Again I removed it from its mount leaving the tape in place (I am not a conservator and could more damage than good) then I made a cut out 1mm bigger than the program in 3200m mount board with a abcking to hold the program in and a mount with a 2mm overlap all round hinged over the top.
At least my framing hasn't further damaged the articles.

Re: Masking Tape Abomination
Posted: Tue 04 Mar, 2014 1:22 pm
by prospero
I can only imagine the difference in value between that ticket and one that hasn't been mutilated.

Re: Masking Tape Abomination
Posted: Tue 04 Mar, 2014 2:21 pm
by Geoff
Looks like the results of "framers on horseback"! Used to be lots of those around at one time.
Re: Masking Tape Abomination
Posted: Tue 04 Mar, 2014 2:33 pm
by Graysalchemy
They are one and the same Prospero a front and back shot. They were only brought in for reframing because of water damage.
Re: Masking Tape Abomination
Posted: Tue 04 Mar, 2014 4:09 pm
by prospero
Yeah I meant if there were two tickets - one un-gunged and that one. The un-gunged example would be worth a fair old wedge and that one probably is worth SFA. To a serious collector anyway and they are the ones who will pay the big bucks.
Re: Masking Tape Abomination
Posted: Tue 04 Mar, 2014 4:14 pm
by Graysalchemy
Sorry mis read you. I agree it is probably worth SFA now. It maddens me to think that the person who put it in the mount should have realised that it had a value and by doing what they have they have ruined it.
Re: Masking Tape Abomination
Posted: Mon 28 Jul, 2014 5:00 pm
by iamzero
I've used a product called Zest It to remove tape with great results, dissolves toheadhesive without damaging the paper.
Re: Masking Tape Abomination
Posted: Mon 28 Jul, 2014 5:26 pm
by IFGL
it smells good too!
Re: Masking Tape Abomination
Posted: Mon 28 Jul, 2014 6:29 pm
by prospero
iamzero wrote:I've used a product called Zest It to remove tape with great results, dissolves toheadhesive without damaging the paper.
Beware sweeping statements. What works fine on one thing won't necessarily work fine on everything.
Paper comes in many forms and conditions.
Re: Masking Tape Abomination
Posted: Tue 29 Jul, 2014 5:51 am
by iamzero
Agreed dude but I'm sure people on here aren't foolish enough to go throwing Zest It all over the place with testing a small area first? And yes it's smells great... I degrease the stainless steel oven extractor with it too.
Re: Masking Tape Abomination
Posted: Tue 29 Jul, 2014 9:19 am
by Graysalchemy
I am not a conservator and have no intention to be one so for me its damage limitation, frame it back in a non invasive conservation way and inform the customer of the problems of the previous framing. If they want some conservation doing then they can take it to a conservator.
