Page 1 of 1
Drum Head
Posted: Mon 17 Mar, 2014 1:49 pm
by JohnMcafee
This is a fairly easy way to frame a drum head, as long as you have the means to cut a circular aperture in a mount.
It requires two coved boxes. The inner box has a circular cut-out with an aperture that will allow the head through but not the rim. The height of this box needs to be sufficient to clear the distance between the top of the rim and the surface of the head, in this example - 15mm.
The overall dimension of the outer box is the same as the inner box (+1mm) with a slightly steeper angle to the cove, and deeper by the height of the rim. The gap between the inner and outer boxes, being the height of the rim, holds the drum head in place, however applying a bit of adhesive tape between the rim and the back of the inner box may prevent future rotation.
The drum Head
Drumhead1.jpg
Inner coved box with circular aperture rests on the rim allowing the head to protrude.
Drumhead2.jpg
Drumhead3.jpg
Re: Drum Head
Posted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 7:29 am
by silvercleave
Nice job John..........................is the black ordinary mount board, I think perhaps I would have used suede board or black velvet?
But I'm sure the customer is delighted
Ian
Re: Drum Head
Posted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 10:12 am
by pramsay13
I think it looks great John. Really sleek sitting in the black mount.
I don't think I'd have chosen that moulding though. It's pretty traditional but the drum head seems more modern. I'd have picked a chunky metallic moulding.
Re: Drum Head
Posted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 10:52 am
by JohnMcafee
This was posted simply to demonstrate a framing method.
At Scenes, the customer gets to chose moulding, frame, etc.
Of course we are always happy to give advice to the customer on aesthetics, but only if asked, and even then we go out of our way to make it clear that we will not take the least offence if our advice is not followed.
Always interesting to hear what framers would have chosen if they were customers, though.
Re: Drum Head
Posted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 11:41 am
by Uncle Sumo
Great job. I have been asked to do drum sticks but never a drum head.
Re: Drum Head
Posted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 8:09 pm
by huntvambo
I recently did sticks and a head but seperate frames, signed by different drummers.
For the head I cut a circular bevel on foam board, very slightly larger diameter than the internal of the head. Glued the foam board to crimson suedette, gentle forced the head over the reverse bevel. Finished off with Onyx circular mount spaced to sit above showing full head and crimson suedette.
No glue or tape etc. touching the head.
Looked the dogs, or so the customer said.
This was a re- frame after the original "framer" had sandwiched the head between the back mount and the glass in a frame with small rebate so the backing board bowed out back, twit. Did I spell that right?
Re: Drum Head
Posted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 8:25 pm
by huntvambo
The sticks for the above job were also a re-frame.
The original framer had used double side tape the length of the sticks, the sticks fell off the backing the first night the frame was hung! Customer took the frame back and had it re-done, this time the "framer" stapled Velcro onto the sticks, they fell off the backing the first night the frame was hung! Twat, did I spell that right?
I re-framed, mounted using melenex (!) and beige cotton. A month later still in place.
Just using methods explained on the forum.
Re: Drum Head
Posted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 8:58 pm
by IFGL
I think you did spell that correctly

Re: Drum Head
Posted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 10:06 pm
by Roboframer
A guy asked me to do one of these so's he could take it out and use it - I told him to beat it!
Re: Drum Head
Posted: Tue 01 Apr, 2014 3:13 pm
by Kwik Picture Framing
We've never been asked to do this before, but it's great to know that just in case, I have the knowledge of how to achieve it! Good job.
Re: Drum Head
Posted: Mon 28 Apr, 2014 1:13 pm
by joshm21195
We've done quite a few. This is the latest one and framed as the customer requested
photo (1).JPG
Re: Drum Head
Posted: Tue 29 Apr, 2014 10:36 am
by muffinski
Nice looking job John!
Re: Drum Head
Posted: Thu 29 May, 2014 9:01 am
by topcat
This is my own drum skin that i got at a concert about eight years ago and framed the next day. I still quite like it but you can perhaps tell that i was eighteen at the time and thought that black was the best colour...for everything.