"correct" sizings

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
johnny

"correct" sizings

Post by johnny »

Hi guys. :) I was wondering if you could answer a question. I've received an email from an individual in the UK wishing to purchase all-black foam core. I sell them in standard cut sizes, he's interested in the 16 inch x 20 inch ones, but asked for the "correct" size! Hehehe. I can figure that out easy enough, but I was wondering what your "standard" sizes are over there. Like here they are 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 11 x 14, 16 x 20, 20 x 24, 24 x 30, all in inches. Can someone give me a list in metric, please? I can make these more useable for this guy.

Also, don't you guys have all-black foam core there? Both the core and facing papers are black. If so, would one of you be willing to sell to this guy? Shipping from the United States makes the whole sale rather ridiculous, price wise. I'm trying to find out exactly where he's from, so far I only know "UK"

Thank you!

johnny
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Johnny,

The UK is in transition between imperial and metric. Some manufacturers, instead of using one or other of the systems of measurement, use both simultaneously - but in an inexact way. So for example, a 16 x 20 in ready-made frame is sold also as 40 x 50 cms. However, you never know when you order such a frame whether the actual (exact) dimensions are going to be 40 x 50 cms or 16 x 20 in.

I think your customer was unaware that when purchasing from USA his question is totally unnecessary, where 16 x 20 in means exactly that.

You can let your customer know that in the UK, Lion Picture Framing Supplies http://www.lionpic.co.uk sells a couple of different black foam core boards, though he will have to cut them to size himself.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Thank you John! I gave him the Lion link.

That measurements situation has GOT to be annoying. But then, I sometimes have a heck of a time just arguing that the frame allowance should be there, lol.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Here is a link to “International Paper Sizes” http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html the problem is not many people use it, most people will design and trim a job to suit the work on had…these international sizes were agreed and adapted in I think it was Germany in the 1920……

and if memory serves me correct within that agreement there is even an agreed size for toilet paper !!!! :roll: how did they work out what would fit !!! :?

To convert Inches to Millimetres (mm) multiply inches by 25.4…….1inch = 25.4 mm exactly…